Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: male grooming

Smile male grooming

should a man should take care of his image?
    from hairdryer to tanning to make up he definitely should go for it.

or should he be get up and go guy grooming is for girls?

are you a man with a male grooming fetish?
    if so what is it that you do to take care of your image?
    Last edited by cacian; 08-05-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post

Yes, guy grooming is for women.

Males afflicted with that disease probably should try psychotherapy first. If that doesn't work, then a frontal lobotomy may work.

I'm pretty much a get-out-of-bed-and-go kind of guy... a shower, grab whatever clothes are on the floor, and I'm ready for the new day. I do however shave... you know, down there. But I don't think that's all that weird, lots of guys do it. Here's me in my pajamas.

is that a bottle of shampoo and do you have long hair??
    haha nice picture by the way
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Thanks! and it's Captain Morgan Rum... and very long hair.

No matter where a man long or short hair, the main thing that it was a man, in other cases, the psychotherapist

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    Thanks! and it's Captain Morgan Rum... and very long hair.
    how do you drink it?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

how do you drink it?
    mixed with Dr.Pepper, on ice... and not very often as I seldom drink hard liquor nowadays.

Blog Entries

It's all about the money. The producers of male makeup see a potentially huge market there equivalent to the female one. I don't think it's a question of whether male grooming should be adopted but when. Advertisers are cunning and play the long long game.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ixIDAHCrMco

The above one with Hugh Laurie uses humour and that one stop simple solution message. The messages are subtle and over time it will become the norm.

My wife has already suggested to me that I should use some kind of moisturiser, but I'm afraid that beyond sunblock, I have no interest or desire. I'm not the target audience though but you can bet that there will be messages like "tough guys take care of their skin" and all the supposed attractiveness that comes with a "facial routine". ( I don't know where I heard that phrase and it is a testimony to the subtle success of the male make up message that I do know it). I'm not buying it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    It's all about the money. The producers of male makeup see a potentially huge market there equivalent to the female one. I don't think it's a question of whether male grooming should be adopted but when. Advertisers are cunning and play the long long game.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ixIDAHCrMco

The above one with Hugh Laurie uses humour and that one stop simple solution message. The messages are subtle and over time it will become the norm.

My wife has already suggested to me that I should use some kind of moisturiser, but I'm afraid that beyond sunblock, I have no interest or desire. I'm not the target audience though but you can bet that there will be messages like "tough guys take care of their skin" and all the supposed attractiveness that comes with a "facial routine". ( I don't know where I heard that phrase and it is a testimony to the subtle success of the male make up message that I do know it). I'm not buying it though.
    I'm seeing two types of ad campaigns... one meant for the 30 and under guys (very hip and very stupid, use our products and get hot chicks), the other for older guys like the commercials Dove has going right now. Just sort of making like it's no big deal "Dove Men Care", it's just soap with moisturizers and you can still be manly!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    I'm seeing two types of ad campaigns... one meant for the 30 and under guys (very hip and very stupid, use our products and get hot chicks), the other for older guys like the commercials Dove has going right now. Just sort of making like it's no big deal "Dove Men Care", it's just soap with moisturizers and you can still be manly!
    They're hilarious aren't they - but only slightly more hilarious than the women's versions - probably due to their newness/relative novelty.

Yet they will win with massive profits over time. I remember first encountering oven chips and thinking - these are horrible, they'll never catch on. They're still mostly horrible but have caught on in a big way. It does make you wonder what a population could be sold.

My wife has already suggested to me that I should use some kind of moisturiser, but I'm afraid that beyond sunblock, I have no interest or desire...
    Yeah, if it actually stops skin cancer, then I'll use it. But all the marketing is really awful. Imagine if the same money was spent on proper research and putting essential facts across. For instance, I'm wondering if I need sunblock given that I'm in the UK and, at most, spend an hour in the sun. Also, I'm totally perplexed by which toothpaste to buy. Is Sainsbury's Basics (with just the fluoride) enough or do I need Colgate Total with the weird polymer that coats the teeth and *maybe* protects them, but costs ten times as much... or something else...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    Yeah, if it actually stops skin cancer, then I'll use it. But all the marketing is really awful. Imagine if the same money was spent on proper research and putting essential facts across. For instance, I'm wondering if I need sunblock given that I'm in the UK and, at most, spend an hour in the sun. Also, I'm totally perplexed by which toothpaste to buy. Is Sainsbury's Basics (with just the fluoride) enough or do I need Colgate Total with the weird polymer that coats the teeth and *maybe* protects them, but costs ten times as much... or something else...
    I agree. I think the biggest mistake is to think that advertising doesn't work. So much is invested because it does. I find adverts boring, grotesque and funny. Did you see the National Bus advert with David Soul singing Silver Lady whilst driving a bus? Hilarious. I though the Clas Ohlson ad was really funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKXoPLpUYhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17EPeLIC4rk

On the toothpaste - the chief medical officer for dentistry was on the BBC a couple of years ago. He said modern toothpastes build up the teeth again and so don't spit and rinse - keep it in there as it helps to build up a barrier. I'd never heard of this, and, him being the chief medical officer, I thought he had more credibility. I have bad teeth, but I haven't had any problems since i decided to follow his advice.(I haven't been to the dentist since 2008). I don't buy the very dear stuff, but get the best brand available from one of our local poundshops.

Who knows though...

It's questionable whether tanning and wearing make-up can be termed 'looking after yourself'. They strike me as just bad habits picked up as a consequence of consumer obsessed culture. I'm not particularly attracted to girls who wear so much fake rubbish that they look like drag acts, but then I don't find females remotely attractive anyway. Make-up worn daily in fact makes your skin dull and grey, which makes girls more and more dependent on wearing it.

You look after your health and your appearance by eating well and exercising. Don't let any businessman tell you any different.
    Last edited by Babyguile; 08-21-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

I agree. I think the biggest mistake is to think that advertising doesn't work. So much is invested because it does. I find adverts boring, grotesque and funny. Did you see the National Bus advert with David Soul singing Silver Lady whilst driving a bus? Hilarious. I though the Clas Ohlson ad was really funny too.
    Yep, advertising is just total brainwashing. I have always said it is evil. For example how can Carling, the most undrinkable drink, be the most popular lager in the UK?! Totally unbelievable! Well they have got lots of adverts so of course people will drink the foul stuff, I would rather drink drain clearner but it is on the TV so the sheep drink it. Disgusting.

I like the National Express advert, very funny, thanks. Of course, they don't advertise that the same 1 hour 15 min journey on the train takes 8 1/2 hours on the NE for example (if you don't believe me try looking for Sheffield to Lincoln), no wonder that kid is so glad to see his mother he thought he might die of starvation!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast