I'm looking for recommendations on solid "critical" or scholarly editions of Melville's major works (Typee, Mardi, Redburn, Israel Potter, Billy Bud, etc. Pretty much everything of significance.) that would contain notes on the text informing me of literary allusions, bits and pieces of historical info I may not know, so on and so forth. I'm pretty sure you all know the drill: Notes that provide context. A series (ideally packaged in a few separate multi-novel anthologies, à la Library of America) would be wonderful, but I'll pick and choose from different publishing houses if necessary. Normally I would rely on Library of America for this type of task, but their limited notes and insistence on not providing references to notes in the text itself drives me nuts. (I don't mind flipping/clicking to the back of a book for notes. I do mind having to flip to the back every other page or two just to find out if there's a note on any text I just read.)

Keep in mind that I have a critical edition of Moby Dick on hand, so that's not a big issue, it's the other stuff I need recommendations on.