Thread: Stendhal

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

Stendhal

I came across a novel by Stendhal yesterday in a book store, "Scarlet and Black." I must confess that I have never read any of this authors work before and have only just started on it. Are there any others familiar with his writing or his work?

Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    I came across a novel by Stendhal yesterday in a book store, "Scarlet and Black." I must confess that I have never read any of this authors work before and have only just started on it. Are there any others familiar with his writing or his work?
    I have read it as it's almost obligatory for lovers of French literature. It is ackknowledged as one of the finest novels in the French literary canon.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I studied world's literature and had to read Stendhal almost completey. I liked him very much, but it was rather long time ago.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Thank you both. I have started on it and enjoyed immediately his pronounced use of everyday dialogue in the narrative. Combine that with the historical backdrop and it has all the markings of a good read.
    Best regards
    M.