Thread: Easy-english writers.

Easy-english writers.

Hi everyone.

Could you please suggest me some english writer easy to read (better if he wrote short stories)?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Ast illi solvuntur frigore membra
    vitaque cum gemitu fugit indignata sub umbras.

Registered User Frédéric Moreau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grigioverde View Post
    Hi everyone.

Could you please suggest me some english writer easy to read (better if he wrote short stories)?
    I would suggest reading Edgar Allan Poe. I guess that you are Italian, the vocabulary and grammar of Poe is easier for an speaker of a Romance language than a current novel, full of phrasal verbs and slang. Conceptually it may seem easier to take up, for instance, Dan Brown or Grisham, but in fact it is more difficult for a Romance language speaker to understand the text. The first fiction text I read in English was The pit and the pendulum -in September of 2013- and I found it easy, having months before struggled to understand some novels by Paul Auster. Gradually, I obtained vocabulary and I ventured with Conrad, after Nostromo I can read almost anything in the language of Shakespeare.
    Last edited by Frédéric Moreau; 07-03-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hemingway, Raymond Carver.

Thanks.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Rudyard Kipling.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Blog Entries
    Short stories by Roald Dahl, E. A. Poe, A. C. Doyle, H. G. Wells...

George Orwell leaves nothing to flights of fancy. He is simple and direct but his are full length novels.

Have to agree on Hemingway. He let simple words do heavy lifting, and he wrote A LOT of short stories. I'd also suggest that you try reading something that seems a bit difficult at first, it's a great way to get better at reading (and speaking for that matter) english. English isn't my first language either, and I've found that giving yourself a challenge is the surest way to progress.

What kind of literature (themes, genres etc.) do you like to read? If you could narrow it down for us, we might come up with something more.
    "This is our birthplace though, this is what we deserted long ago. This is where we used to live, on balls of dust and rock like this. This is our hometown from before we felt the itch of wanderlust, the sticks we inhabited before we ran away from home, the cradle where we were infected with the crazy breath of the place's vastness like a metal wind inside our love-struck heads; just stumbled on the scale of whats around and tripped out drunk on starlike possibilities."

For more modern stuff, try Elmore Leonard. His writing philosophy was to keep the story moving and stay as invisible as possible.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Nick91 View Post

What kind of literature (themes, genres etc.) do you like to read? If you could narrow it down for us, we might come up with something more.
    I'm a versatile reader, so I like bot realistic and fanciful works (f.e. among the first: Zola, Woolf, Verga, Tolstoj and among the second: Borges, Calvino etc..).