Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal matter

yes it does - the word is remarkably similar too - inamorata (female) · inamorato (male)

Quote Originally Posted by chevalierdelame View Post
    I don't think gossips have a right to decide what we do with our life, so if you have more courage than I did, go ahead and talk to her.

P.S. - By the way, I'm a girl, so my apologies if my username has misled the forum members so far.

You should never be worried about what the gossiper says about you... the worry is when people stop talking behind your back. It means you aren't doing anything all that interesting.

Registered User Frédéric Moreau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin337 View Post
    yes it does - the word is remarkably similar too - inamorata (female) · inamorato (male)
    I mean a noun, not an adjective. 'Enamoramiento' -according to the Royal Spanish Academy- is the action and effect of falling in love. Infatuation seems to me something different, with a shade of obsession, and 'crush' the same.
    Last edited by Frédéric Moreau; 07-02-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    You should never be worried about what the gossiper says about you... the worry is when people stop talking behind your back. It means you aren't doing anything all that interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TB_r5-cf4

I don't know which dictionary you used but it is - (male/female) sweetheart or lover

I don't know which dictionary you used but it is - (male/female) sweetheart or lover
    Yes, I know, but I was referring to a different concept. Enamoramiento means the action and effect of falling in love, and that word -as a noun- does not exist in English with the same meaning.

you just used the verb then yourself :P ... I fall in love ... Let's fall in love ... She fell in love ....

you just used the verb then yourself :P ... I fall in love ... Let's fall in love ... She fell in love ....
    I wrote:

"My infatuation (in Spanish I would say “enamoramiento”, but that word does not exist in English) is build upon a hope that she may be the girl I need."

'Infatuation' is a noun, the most similar in English to 'enamoramiento', though not equal. That was what I wanted to explain.

New York, New York, United States; Mind Control Poems http://mindcontrolpoems.blogspot.com/
    Blog Entries
    I say, if you really want to demonstrate your passion, go for broke with a gesture of idiosyncratic zeal--something she can't ignore, like cutting off an ear and mailing it or sending links to creepy video recordings of moments she thought were private--something to set you apart from the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by illiterati View Post
    I say, if you really want to demonstrate your passion, go for broke with a gesture of idiosyncratic zeal--something she can't ignore, like cutting off an ear and mailing it or sending links to creepy video recordings of moments she thought were private--something to set you apart from the crowd.
    Though there was a time when I painted, I am not Van Gogh. And it is not passion what I feel, it is an interest for a girl I hope could understand me and, if it is like that, an 'enamoramiento'.
    Last edited by Frédéric Moreau; 07-02-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Listen Frederic, you need to get yourself a book on Cognitive Therapy. When I was your age, I was helped considerably by an approach used to help people overcome self-consciousness and shyness. The author/psychologist, Albert Ellis, would give his patients assignments. He would ask you to do something completely ludicrous, so people would stare at you. For obvious reasons, I would advise completing this assignment somewhere other than in your home town. Anyway, his theory was that when you were stared at often enough by people with critical eyes, you would develop a degree of mental toughness.

I fulfilled this assignment by going into a subway, and standing up and calling out the names of the stations in which we stopped. "Times Square!" "Madison Square Garden!" Yes, people looked at me. Yes, people thought I was crazy. But, you know....it worked...at least to some degree. At first, I felt such dread that it was physically painful. Then....after many repetitions, I really ceased caring.

Another alternative is to read the Existentialists. They have a way of putting things in perspective. Obsessing about death, nonbeing, existential insecurity and inauthenticity will have an effect on your consciousness. If you decide not to slit your throat, you won't fret about social matters to such a large degree.

Whatever..... I will be rooting for you. Keep us informed.
    Shall I give you an assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    You should never be worried about what the gossiper says about you.
    Yes, I suppose so.
    But the thing is, it's not so much behind your back as right in front of your face.
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Frédéric Moreau View Post

I don't know deeply the girl I am talking about and I am quite sure that if, at length, I realise that she is just another “average girl” I will not like her.
    Yes, but the best thing to do is find out, and for that you need to talk to her. I know it's easier said than done, but... well there it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Frédéric Moreau View Post
    The story begins when, in one of his exhibitions, he notices a girl becoming aware of a subtle detail in one of his paintings that everybody has ignored. He gently develops an obsession that will end tragically when he realises, after all, of the ordinary girl she really is, I fear and feel the same. I quote him:
    I read some reviews of this book and an Amazon preview. Most people have interpreted the story in a different way, that is, that Castel "consistently misreads, overinterprets or simply imagines events in a vicious circle in which his own madness feeds on itself to the point that he destroys the very person who most profoundly understands him."

But in the passage you quoted, it says that he "had naďvely believed that she was moving in a tunnel parallel to mine, when in fact she belonged to the wide world, the unbounded world of those who did not live in tunnels; "
    " And then, while I kept moving through my passageway, she lived her normal life outside, the exciting life of people who live outside, that curious and absurd life in which there are dances and parties and gaiety, and frivolity. "

So I don't think you can say that she actually understood him.
    It is written in a beautiful style. Rather reminds me of the "I am a desert talking to myself" style of Violette Leduc.

Perhaps as saralynn says psychology could help you. It is a comfort to know that all your trouble can be condensed into a long word that can be further condensed into an acronym that means as little as ABC. I know this is not what you mean, saralynn, and this is a rather ridiculous thing to say. But I speak from experience. I even wanted to become a psychologist at one point, but dropped it midway through.
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by saralynn View Post
    Listen Frederic, you need to get yourself a book on Cognitive Therapy. When I was your age, I was helped considerably by an approach used to help people overcome self-consciousness and shyness. The author/psychologist, Albert Ellis, would give his patients assignments. He would ask you to do something completely ludicrous, so people would stare at you. For obvious reasons, I would advise completing this assignment somewhere other than in your home town. Anyway, his theory was that when you were stared at often enough by people with critical eyes, you would develop a degree of mental toughness.

I fulfilled this assignment by going into a subway, and standing up and calling out the names of the stations in which we stopped. "Times Square!" "Madison Square Garden!" Yes, people looked at me. Yes, people thought I was crazy. But, you know....it worked...at least to some degree. At first, I felt such dread that it was physically painful. Then....after many repetitions, I really ceased caring.

Another alternative is to read the Existentialists. They have a way of putting things in perspective. Obsessing about death, nonbeing, existential insecurity and inauthenticity will have an effect on your consciousness. If you decide not to slit your throat, you won't fret about social matters to such a large degree.

Whatever..... I will be rooting for you. Keep us informed.
    Shall I give you an assignment?
    I think this is very good advice.

Most of our anxieties and fears become rather silly when finally confronted.
    When I'm scared of something and in need of perspective, I simply ask myself, "will any of this matter when I'm dead".

Quote Originally Posted by chevalierdelame View Post
    Perhaps as saralynn says psychology could help you. It is a comfort to know that all your trouble can be condensed into a long word that can be further condensed into an acronym that means as little as ABC. I know this is not what you mean, saralynn, and this is a rather ridiculous thing to say. But I speak from experience. I even wanted to become a psychologist at one point, but dropped it midway through.
    It's not silly at all... the human mind is both complex, and sometimes rather crude and simple.
    Most times we don't even know why or how we've developed our individual fears. Simplifying them is a good way to at least reach a point where they can be managed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast