Thread: Shakespeare's

Hpets

No Subject

I have lately been doing much research on Shakespeare's works, and on "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in particular. Though it is true that this play is much lighter than Hamlet, Macbeth, ect. I don't agree 'that it is not a true Shakespearean story'. I also don't agree that 'the story can only be appreaciated by children'. Certainly Shakespeare has written just as many plays with happy endings as with sorrowful ones. That doesn't make them any less masterful. Most scholars who have been studying this play believe that it was written to be presented as a masque for the wedding of a friend of the playwrite's, and masque's are meant to be happy, with music and dance often springing up. Personally I feel that this play was one of William Shakespeare's most brilliant works. I don't think it's fair to state that only the tragedies can be masterpieces.

Unregistered

No Subject

The only aspect of your comment which distinguishes it from the writing of most pretentious asses is that is badly punctuated.

Beth. English undergraduate

No Subject

I definitely see where you are coming from in that A Midsummer Night's dream lacks that pscychological depth that is so thoroughly engaged with, in say, Hamlet- where the inevitable tragedy leaaves us cold and heavy hearted and through this seems to exagerate the sheer meaningless and loneliness, if you like, of life. A Midsummer's night dream is still a fabulous work of art though- but just in a different way. This play is a celebration, if you like, of the enchanting fairy-tale and exploits to the best of uses the effects of the stage.

Brendan

No Subject

I suggest you spend some time investigating shakespeare's interest in love and reason, along with the role of art in ordering emotional chaos. Dichotomies such as human/fairy, Athens/woods, Theseus/Hippolyta make an interesting topic -- one unfortunately too complex for children (or people writing about Shakespeare who have never done more than skimmed his plays) to tackle. The Tragedies teach you how to be sad -- in the early comedies you must learn, and that takes a bit of brainwork on the readers/audience member's part.

Anonymous

Shakespeare's

Among Shakespeare's many ingenious masterpieces, this particular comedy has only attracted so much attention, because it is the only one which can be fully understood, due to the fact that it has a happy end. This genre only attracts people, because they are pleased when stories end to our liking. Although I enjoy the story very much, I am afraid to confirm that it is not a true Shakespearean story. The story can only be appreaciated by children. Try Hamlet, Othello or KIng Lear, and then let me know if the characters are cool and have great personalities. I love the story too, but I don't feel that people who have not read Shakespeare's other plays can truly compare the plays.<br>