Thread: References and Allusions

References and Allusions

Hi folks!

I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo, and have a question that seems irrelevant to the plot. In the Chapter called Italy: Sinbad the Sailor, we meet Baron Franz d'Epinay as he is treated to supper on the Island of Monte Cristo. During their discussions, we come across the following passage:

"Ah!" responded Sinbad, laughing with his singular laugh, which displayed his white and sharp teeth. "You have not guessed rightly! Such as you see me, I am a sort of philosopher, and one days perhaps I shall go to Paris to rival Monsieur Appert, and the man in the little blue cloak."

I imagine this is insignificant, or that maybe it refers to someone we will meet later, but I can't find who this individual is (assuming he was a real person). Most of the other allusions in the novel are traceable.

When googling, the only reference to Appert I can find is Nicholas Appert, the father of modern food canning.

Additionally, who is the man in the little blue cloak? The internet says Napoleon, but if I understand the chronology, Napoleon would already be dead. If Napoleon, does Dumas mean rival the legacy of these individuals?

Most of the references and allusions have been easy to trace. So far, this has me stumped. Again, I don't think this detail is important to the general plot, but it's nagging at me. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!
    Chris

I checked the passage in several copies of the book available online and they have the same passage. However, I have an old copy which has something different.
    "Indeed," said Sinbad, laughing his strange laugh, which exposed his row of white teeth, "then you are wrong. In fact, I am a kind of a philanthropist, and perhaps some day I shall go to Paris as a rival to M. Appert"

There was apparently a French philanthropist, called Benjamin Nicolas Marie Appert, 'not to be confused with Nicolas Appert', the "father of canning",
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Nicolas_Marie_Appert

There is no reference to a man in a little blue cloak.
    I suppose there are different translations from the original French.

Edit: the URL doesn't work somehow so I'll copy paste or just search for 'Benjamin Nicolas Marie Appert Wikipedia'

Benjamin Nicolas Marie Appert (September 10, 1797 – 1847) was a French philanthropist, not to be confused with Nicolas Appert.

He was born in Paris. While a young man he introduced a system of mutual instruction into the regimental schools of the département of the Nord. The success which it obtained induced him to publish a Manual setting forth his system. While engaged in teaching prisoners at Montaigu[disambiguation needed], he fell under the suspicion of having connived at the escape of two of them, and was thrown into the prison of La Force.

On his release he resolved to devote the rest of his life to bettering the condition of those whose lot he had for a time shared, and he travelled much over Europe for the purpose of studying the various systems of prison discipline, and wrote several books on the subject. After the revolution of 1830 he became secretary to Queen Marie Amélie Therese, and organized the measures taken for the relief of the needy. He was decorated with the Legion of Honour in 1833.
    Last edited by chevalierdelame; 06-26-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

wow, that makes so much sense because "Sinbad" has his own moral code and goes about freeing brigands if he feels it's the just thing too do. thanks so much! were you aware of this person already, or did you discover him searching online? I looked for the name Appert, but other than Nicholas the canner, I only got page after page of Count pdfs.

Thanks again!!
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisatola View Post
    were you aware of this person already, or did you discover him searching online?
    No, I searched for Appert. There's a wikipedia disambiguation page about people with the surname Appert. Apart from the food canner and the philanthropist, there is a French painter, Eugène Appert (1814–1867).
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

In the Chapman-Hall (1846) translation, 'the little man in the blue coat' is included, although incorrectly translated, it should be 'the man in the little blue coat'.
    According to a note in the back of my copy, 'the man in the little blue cloak' is Esmé Champion, another philanthropist, however I cannot seem to find out anything else about him on the Internet.
    The note agrees with you about Appert, and also says that he worked for Dumas' patron, the Duc d'Orléans.
    Last edited by NienorNiniel; 12-28-2016 at 12:09 PM.