Thread: Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928-May 28,2014)

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928-May 28,2014)

Maya Angelou
    An Informal Tribute

Maya Angelou, who died yesterday, packed several lifetimes into her eighty-six years in this world. Her eclectic roles included an early career as a singer and dancer, followed by her acclaimed accomplishments as a composer of poetry, author of a multi-volume autobiography, human rights activist, and for more than thirty years a beloved college educator. Maya Angelou was a contemporary Renaissance woman, deeply American to the core yet undeniably a citizen of the world. Her literary works stemmed from the margins of society, ultimately giving rise to a voice speaking from, for, and to the whole of humanity, or as she once prefaced a public reading, “This poem speaks to every human being on earth.”

In many respects, Maya Angelou broke ground, defying the established precedents for autobiography. The first and most famous volume, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, transformed a harrowing incident of childhood abuse and subsequent trauma into an inspiring testament to resilience. An irrepressible instinct for joy shone through her personality, evident in the endearing title of the third volume, Singin’ and Swingin’ and Gettin’ Merry Like Christmas.

Every good poem is a marriage of form and content, the latter of which employs imagery to combine thought and feeling. In many ways emotion is the primary aspect of Maya Angelou’s poetry, which first strikes the reader (or listener) in a visceral way. Maybe it’s not inappropriate that my recollection of her legacy is a “feeling.”

Until the day I die I will never forget the plight of young adult female students who at one time were in my temporary charge. Their experiences echoed those of Maya Angelou’s early life of decades ago. The young ladies were “up against it,” attempting to survive amid legions of difficulties such as pervasive poverty within an ambience of blight, drug trafficking, the lack of safety under the threat of violence-without -warning, all beneath nerve-racking noise and constant clamor, along with seemingly unresolvable chronic personal issues as early and/or unplanned motherhood, dicey relationships including the threat of physical abuse along with assaults on self-esteem, with academic failure and truancy the least of their problems. On top of everything else, die-hard vestiges of tacit prejudice and patronizing lip service further eroded their spirits. Yet at least these young women had found a substantial branch on which to cling. They weren’t big on reading, yet endowed their precious attention on the pages of Caged Bird. Their ineffectual public education system had neglected to acquaint them with literature, yet they could recite “Still I Rise” from memory as well as a tiny glimmer of pride.

Despite the nearly-universal respect Maya Angelou has received as an exemplary American, it seems to me that her works haven’t been championed by Academia with overwhelming enthusiasm. Unlike much of contemporary poetry her poems, while subtle, don’t resemble verbal encryptions meant to be puzzled out by literary scholars. Maya Angelou’s works are not so much studied as performed publicly and read aloud at ceremonial functions, including Bill Clinton’s first inaugural ceremony. Obviously, the poems had been delivered most effectively by the author herself, with her distinctive speaking voice, simultaneously soft and strong.

These works are indeed strong, as tangible as the poet’s personal courage. Maya Angelou wanted people to hear her message and thus did not shy away from being accessible and clear.

Not only that, she wasn’t afraid to rhyme.

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
    I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
    But when I start to tell them,
    They think I’m telling lies.
    I say,
    It’s in the reach of my arms,
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I’m a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That’s me.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 05-29-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I posted the entire poem. This poem is a wonderful tribute to freedom, and a beautiful example of the legacy of Maya Angelou.
    I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
    A free bird leaps on the back
    Of the wind and floats downstream
    Till the current ends and dips his wing
    In the orange suns rays
    And dares to claim the sky.

But a BIRD that stalks down his narrow cage
    Can seldom see through his bars of rage
    His wings are clipped and his feet are tied
    So he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
    Of things unknown but longed for still
    And his tune is heard on the distant hill for
    The caged bird sings of freedom.

The free bird thinks of another breeze
    And the trade winds soft through
    The sighing trees
    And the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright
    Lawn and he names the sky his own.

But a caged BIRD stands on the grave of dreams
    His shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
    His wings are clipped and his feet are tied
    So he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with
    A fearful trill of things unknown
    But longed for still and his
    Tune is heard on the distant hill
    For the caged bird sings of freedom.
    P.S. I agree with AuntShecky that "Unlike much of contemporary poetry her poems, while subtle, don’t resemble verbal encryptions meant to be puzzled out by literary scholars. Maya Angelou’s works are not so much studied as performed publicly and read aloud at ceremonial functions,"
    And I like them the better for that.
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

A very touching and fitting tribute. RIP Maya Angelou.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A great poet. One of the very few contemporary poets I could read with genuine delight, wonder, and appreciation.

I don't want to mourn her, though. I think she lived more in her 86 years than most people could manage in thrice that.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

She was a lousy poet, but a good woman and I'm sure she meant a lot to many. RIP.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Agreed. I think of her poetry as mediocre to decent, certainly not great. Her prose was better than her poetry. She wrote about what Joe Louis meant to blacks in his prime years. Quite touching.
    RIP
    Last edited by desiresjab; 05-30-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    She was a lousy poet
    Would you kindly elaborate on this assessment?

Blog Entries
    At the graduation ceremony this afternoon, the commencement speaker quoted Maya Angelou: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." I haven't read much by her, but I liked the quote.