Thread: help :D

help :D

Hi there,

Could you please put the following "which never failed to get right through one’s guard and score a hit on one’s better nature." in other words for me? to be more precise, i cannot quite grasp the meaning of "one's better nature".

*i am not a native English speaker.

Thanks a lot!

Could you provide more context? Ability sounds like it, but context would help.

yes, of course
    here it is : "Flip would search me with her baleful eyes. (What colour were those eyes, I wonder? I remember them as green, but actually no human being has green eyes. Perhaps they were hazel.) She would start off in her peculiar, wheedling, bullying style, which never failed to get right through one’s guard and score a hit on one’s better nature."

thank you very much

Blog Entries
    one's guard = someone's defenses, ability to keep people out.

So in this case, "one's better nature" means the speaker's true feelings. The character loves (or lusts) after this girl, despite the fact that she treats him badly.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Another way to look at it is that the narrator feels himself to be a good person normally (his "better nature"), but is involved in a toxic relationship with a toxic person, and in response to her bad behavior, he keeps allowing himself to sink to her level.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Hi
    can anybody help me with this...
    I´m writing a term paper on "good and evil" motifs in macbeth and King Lear.
    It will deal with the problems of goodness of Cordelia and Banquo, evilness of Edmund and Lady Macbeth and
    badness of Lear and Macbeth ...
    my question now is : how can I involve the 3 witches from Macbeth....anything comparable in King Lear....
    any ideas ?!
    Thanks a lot