Thread: The Dreamer

The Dreamer

The Dreamer

by

DATo

Francis was aware that she was dreaming. Her dreams had recently achieved a level of realism that she had not experienced since her childhood many years in the past. She was also aware that she would soon wake and as always she would be hard pressed to remember the events of her dream. When those first moments of cognition occurred, when the tapestry of her dream would begin to fade and the realization that the harsh world of reality was beginning to impress itself upon her senses she often longed desperately to return to that magical land where the colors were so vibrant, the sounds so articulated and the emotions so fervently felt.

In her dreams Francis was not burdened with slipping dentures, the irksome routine of timing her medications, or concern regarding whether or not Robert, her favorite, would be the Meals-On-Wheels delivery person that day. Francis knew that Meals-On-Wheels was an organization which provided and delivered meals to the elderly and infirm who could not get out to do their own shopping or cook for themselves, but Francis could never quite recall when she began receiving these visits. Robert was attentive and would spend time conversing with her. Sometimes Robert brought little gifts such as the time be brought a coloring book and crayons. Oh, how he made her laugh as he explained his logic in coloring palm trees blue and horses green! Another time he brought travel brochures and they discussed the beauty of Paris, the beaches of Australia and the mysteries of Machu Picchu. Esther, on the other hand, was strictly business. After making her appearance Esther would soon make some excuse to leave and then skip to her car smiling, and saying something undoubtably pleasant over her shoulder which Francis could never seem to hear properly. Sometimes Robert would appear in Francis’ dreams, but Esther never did.

Francis had lately been having a recurring dream. The setting was often different but Francis knew it was the same dream. The one constant in her recent dreams was Mary. Mary was Francis’ dear and imaginary dream-friend. Francis knew Mary very well but her dreams had offered no explanation as to how the two of them originally met. Mary was young, and beautiful, and competent. Mary was the one fixed point of safety and refuge to whom Francis could turn if her dream became confused or frightening as dreams are sometimes wont to do. Francis did not even know how she had determined that her dream-friend’s name was Mary, but she was absolutely sure that this was so. Sometimes she would call her name aloud and Mary would appear in her dream, and together they would experience grand things. Francis thought it odd that in her dreams Mary always wore the same clothes - black slacks and aqua blouse - and she often thought of teasing her about this but when she dreamed of her she could never remember to do so. Francis was never aware of what she herself wore and upon reflection it occurred to her that in her entire life she couldn’t remember having ever taken note of what clothing she had been wearing in any of her dreams.

Tonight Francis dreamed that she was in a large theatre. The play had not yet begun and everyone was milling about in the lobby. Sometimes this recurring dream would take place in a large supermarket, mall, museum or airport. It was always an enclosure with windows and doors and many people milling about in expectation of some event which was about to begin. In the distance Francis saw Mary standing alone. Francis hailed her excitedly and soon Mary was hastening toward her with outstretched arms and smiling broadly. They embraced as they always did when they met in her dreams. As they released each other and Francis opened her eyes she was aware that they were no longer in the theatre lobby but walking arm-in-arm in a garden with warm sunshine caressing them and beautiful flowers of every color and description surrounding them. The dream had now taken a lovely turn for the flowers had morphed into small children and they were singing gaily of spring. Francis looked around and noticed that in her dream the theatre patrons were all seated outdoors now in the garden listening to the children’s performance. Francis was so overcome by the beauty of the singing, and the garden, and the children that she never wanted this dream to end. She turned to Mary and instead Robert had now taken Mary’s place in her dream. He was standing there with his arm in hers. “They sing beautifully don’t they mom?” Robert had called her “mom”. In her dream Robert had become her son. Francis began to weep with joy as she pulled Robert to her breast and repeated his name over and over again. “You are the best son. You are the best son a mother could ever wish for.” Without knowing how it happened Francis was aware that the dream now placed her, Robert and Mary in a restaurant. The restaurant must be part of the theatre complex because she recognized some of the patrons from the theatre lobby and the garden seated there awaiting their dinners. Robert had apparently brought Meals-On-Wheels for everyone. It was so like him to be this thoughtful.

And then came the moment Francis dreaded. She opened her eyes to find herself seated in her room. She must have dozed off while sitting in her recliner, but this was not her house. Above her bed was a crucifix which she recognized and on the table next to the bed was a foldable metal frame enclosing two pictures; one appeared to be Robert, and the other Esther. Had Robert and Esther married? Francis was despondent. Could she still be dreaming? And had the dream taken on nightmarish proportions? Francis did not want Robert to be married to Esther. She wanted him to be with Mary. Francis then noted that she was wearing a pink robe and maroon slippers. “Where did these come from?”, she wondered.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you. She really loves you, you know? It broke my heart to have to place her in here but my sister, Esther, isn’t the type to take care of anyone. She’s such a ditz. She has enough on her plate just taking care of herself. She and mom never really got along well anyway.”

“Hey, your mom is doing really well for someone her age Bob. I think she enjoyed the kids from the school down the street visiting today. They bring them by every other month or so. Gives the residents a lift. And she has you. I could tell you stories of residents here who get no visits at all from their families. Listen, if it’s any consolation, I think you did the right thing, I honestly do. See you again next week?”

“Sure thing, see you then.”

Mary waved goodbye to Robert while adjusting the name tag on her aqua-blue uniform top. She then turned to smile and embrace Miss Clarissa who was distraught because she could not find Mario, her canary. Miss Clarissa was absolutely certain that Mr. Reichmann from the room across the hall had stolen him and cooked him.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    This is an exceptionally well-written piece. (That's not a statement I often make on the LitNet, believe you me.)

The content of the story both reinforces stereotypes about the elderly and defies them. In some passages Frances does seem to exhibit symptoms of senility such as loss of memory, confusion, inability to relate to her immediate surroundings, but the gist of the story is her rich interior life as portrayed in her dreams. That this story can take two apparently contradictory aspects of an aged person and still make sense shows complexity and skill on the writer's part. F. Scott Fitzgerald once said something to the effect that holding two opposite opinions at the same time is a sign of intelligence.

The second paragraph is a thing of beauty, shimmering with truth. The concluding paragraph is bittersweet, leaving the reader wondering if she should laugh or cry.

Bravo!

Auntie

Thank you so much AuntShecky. It always means a lot to know that someone appreciates my modest efforts, especially when that appreciation comes from one with forum credentials such as yours.

EDIT: You made my otherwise uneventful day a HaPpY one!
    Last edited by DATo; 04-22-2014 at 09:45 PM.

It struck a very deep personal chord with me. When my father had Alzheimer's, other people said he was having hallucinations, but I concluded that because he was unable to really sleep and only took short naps, his brain compensated by creating dreams while he was awake (or in what I suppose you might call a semi-awake state). He was able to interact with his environment, but was dreaming at the same time. You captured that aspect of dementia perfectly and poignantly with this story.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by 108 fountains View Post
    It struck a very deep personal chord with me. When my father had Alzheimer's, other people said he was having hallucinations, but I concluded that because he was unable to really sleep and only took short naps, his brain compensated by creating dreams while he was awake (or in what I suppose you might call a semi-awake state). He was able to interact with his environment, but was dreaming at the same time. You captured that aspect of dementia perfectly and poignantly with this story.
    Hello once again 108 fountains!

I too have had some experience dealing with people suffering from dementia, and I borrowed heavily from those experiences when writing this story. I have often wondered how victims of dementia experience the world around them. I feel it must be something like one of us living in one of our dreams where settings change abruptly and people appear and disappear as if by magic. I used this speculative theory as the foundation upon which the story rests.

Once again, I am very grateful for your kind words regarding my stories. Your compliment means a lot to me and gives me confidence to continue writing.

I like this, Dato. The writing is straightforward and sometimes editorialized.

"The restaurant must be part of the theatre complex because she recognized some of the patrons from the theatre lobby and the garden seated there awaiting their dinners."

The narrator is reasoning. I like that tone. It can be a hint that the narrator is not that all-powerful omniscient but someone human and working in that elder care facility. Maybe Frances shares her dreams to the narrator.

I like the twist in the later part--from Robert to Bob

My only nit is that the paragraphs are long. Let them breathe.

"Tonight Francis dreamed that she was in a large theatre. The play had not yet begun and everyone was milling about in the lobby. Sometimes this recurring dream would take place in a large supermarket, mall, museum or airport. It was always an enclosure with windows and doors and many people milling about in expectation of some event which was about to begin. In the distance Francis saw Mary standing alone. Francis hailed her excitedly and soon Mary was hastening toward her with outstretched arms and smiling broadly. They embraced as they always did when they met in her dreams. As they released each other and Francis opened her eyes she was aware that they were no longer in the theatre lobby but walking arm-in-arm in a garden with warm sunshine caressing them and beautiful flowers of every color and description surrounding them.

The dream had now taken a lovely turn for the flowers had morphed into small children and they were singing gaily of spring. Francis looked around and noticed that in her dream the theatre patrons were all seated outdoors now in the garden listening to the children’s performance. Francis was so overcome by the beauty of the singing, and the garden, and the children that she never wanted this dream to end.

She turned to Mary and instead Robert had now taken Mary’s place in her dream. He was standing there with his arm in hers. “They sing beautifully don’t they mom?” Robert had called her “mom”. In her dream Robert had become her son. Francis began to weep with joy as she pulled Robert to her breast and repeated his name over and over again. “You are the best son. You are the best son a mother could ever wish for.”

Without knowing how it happened Francis was aware that the dream now placed her, Robert and Mary in a restaurant. The restaurant must be part of the theatre complex because she recognized some of the patrons from the theatre lobby and the garden seated there awaiting their dinners. Robert had apparently brought Meals-On-Wheels for everyone. It was so like him to be this thoughtful."

Maybe that's just me. I'd mimic the shorter breaths of the elderly.

Good job!

Miyako
    Last edited by miyako73; 04-26-2014 at 02:00 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post

Maybe that's just me. I'd mimic the shorter breaths of the elderly.

Miyako
    Miyako,

I like the way you think. It never occurred to me that the meter of the story could be used as a descriptive element of a character - in this case, obviously, Francis. Thanks for the tip!

"The restaurant must be part of the theatre complex ..." Nursing facilities for the elderly have cafeterias where the residents eat their dinners together. Actually, the narrator's reasoning is meant to mirror Francis' reasoning. The narrator assumes First Person Limited status as a proxy for Francis, but, as you may have noted, ONLY during the dream sequence. The narrator adopts First Person Omniscient status at the beginning and ending of the story. But even during the beginning of the story, as Francis' mental powers begin to deteriorate she mistakes her visiting son for a meals-on-wheels delivery person. One must go back to the beginning of the story after knowing the twist to make this determination however. During this period there is a flutter-effect between First Person Omniscient and First Person Limited on the part of the narrator. The narrator's perspective always parallels Francis' perspective.

Francis goes from standing arm in arm with Robert in a garden to suddenly being with Robert and Mary in a restaurant. Previous to this she is standing with Mary and then finds that Mary has turned into Robert. One thing I was hoping to point out are the gaps between one scene in the dream and another. From personal experience with the elderly I have often noted periods where there seem to be holes in their timelines. It was my hope to try to capture that in the description of the dream thus reinforcing the parallels of dementia in the experience of the elderly with dreaming.

EDIT: Thank you so much for your comments and critique !!!

DATo
    Last edited by DATo; 04-26-2014 at 01:22 AM.