Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Racism

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    I'm not being politically correct. Saying black people are more interesting than white people IS racist.
    Well then, you're an exceptional person and free of all prejudice.

It must feel good.
    Last edited by Iain Sparrow; 04-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sparrow View Post
    That right there would be a politically correct statement...

Unfortunately these type of conversations usually turn out to be a contest about who can be more hip and politically correct. And it's always interesting, because by being politically correct and wishing more than anything not to offend someone, you help perpetuate the very thing you want to end.
    Indeed. The politically correct left turn racism into a stage show. It's rather embarrassing to watch, as a fellow white person..
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

Quote Originally Posted by Babyguile View Post
    Indeed. The politically correct left turn racism into a stage show. It's rather embarrassing to watch, as a fellow white person..

And I agree, and being a Liberal myself I find it all the more embarrassing.
    People are not all the same, cultures are different, to pretend all things are equal is being less than honest.

But there's plenty of political correctness to go around here in America, Conservatives have their own cross to bear.

Blog Entries
    Well then, you're and exceptional person and free of all prejudice.

It must feel good.
    Please explain how what you said is NOT racist instead of making childish remarks. Race has got nothing to do with how interesting a person is.

My statements aren't childish nor do they lack merit. Remember, it was you who started the name calling.

Unlike most white folks who enter these type of discussions, I actually live in close quarters with black people and in a predominately African American neighborhood. I make pretty good wages and if I so choose, I could live in the suburbs where almost everyone is white. I'm a city person; I love the vitality and mix of people, it's full of life.

Black people on average are more interesting to me because they have it tougher than most white people, and they often have life experiences much different than my own. I find that compelling, that though we come from different cultures and backgrounds we still share core needs.

If you believe me a racist for having such feelings, well, that's your problem not mine.

Blog Entries
    Where the heck was I name calling...? I said you made a racist statement, that isn't name calling. And yes, your post was childish.

You may well have met more interesting black people than you have white people, using those experiences to generalize about the entire race is the racist bit. I've met more interesting white people than black people, I don't go around generalizing and saying 'white people are more interesting' because I've only met a tiny fraction of the entire population of white and black people in the world...

Our parents, friends and acquaintances, and the stereotypes that popular culture propagate.

Though to be fair, there's a reason stereotypes become stereotypes. I live downtown in a mostly white enclave in the historic district, but in a predominately black neighborhood. I like to think of myself as a very liberal person... it turns out not so liberal as I thought I was. Sometimes when I'm walking downtown I have to shake myself back to the present day because I could swear I just strolled into an old episode of Starsky & Hutch.

I will say one thing though, black folks are way more interesting than white people. It all comes down to not pretending people are all the same. That's the beauty of it.
    I think the racism from your post comes from some subtle implications that these qualities you are witnessing — and these stereotypes you seem to believe are justified — are inherent within the race of the people upon whom you are observing; however, in fact, it is not the race, but the social and economic status and the relative locality of the group of people that is having a determined influence on their behavior.

Perhaps you did not mean it this way; and, indeed, if you didn't, you still neglected to recognize this important aspect. This leads to the conclusion that your post is racist as generally accurate, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Aere Perennius; 04-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Beyond accusations, politically correct mantras, and self-righteous self-descriptions what are some proactive (rather than reactive) steps we can take to eliminate racism from first ourselves and then from society? I mean practical, rather than facilely rhetorical steps.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    Beyond accusations, politically correct mantras, and self-righteous self-descriptions what are some proactive (rather than reactive) steps we can take to eliminate racism from first ourselves and then from society? I mean practical, rather than facilely rhetorical steps.
    Despite your distaste, rhetoric is a very powerful tool when it comes to beliefs. 'Tis why many people start to believe their own lies. I have no doubt that, though political correctness can be irritating, it has made significant progressions in racial thinking — though progression it has not induced entirely.

But that's where a scientific understanding of race comes in! Economic equalization is also important, but it should be a result of racial harmony, not a step towards it: else wise it accomplishes even less than political correctness (that is a mere "sweeping under the rug" of certain pernicious attitudes).

This, however, is a topic of which I am totally unqualified to speak on. Still, it would be interesting to here other opinions on it as well.
    Last edited by Aere Perennius; 04-02-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think it'll eliminate itself over time. Once all the laws are in place saying you can't discriminate and all that, future generations just tend get more and more accepting. Like how generations before me used to hate homosexuals, I don't know a single person my age who actually thinks there's a problem with being gay. Same with race.

Blog Entries
    Since we have a tendecy form into groups and given that outgroups are consequently identified, isn't stereotyping a tough obstacle to overcome? It's not necessarily about race it can be gender, class, age and demographics also. I'm not aware that it's a reqirement to go through life free from any bias or prejudice or even if it's possible since we largely flock together with birds of the same feather.

My issue is when such prejudices result in unreasonable treatment of another group particularly as mentioned earlier through institutional means.

I never have to associate with a group that I doubt I would fit into for any reason but that doesn't mean I think the rules should be different or that my group should receive preferential treatment over other groups.

Being white makes one race neutral in the society I live in. I'm not typed as ethnic or coloured in anyway. Laws are passed based on reasonable thinking persons not groups to behave in such a way that uphold them but a reasonable thinking person is ultimately white and of no race or group which means white people decide what is best for other groups. There lies the danger.

White people who predominantly occupy positions decide what sort of protections other groups should or shouldn't have. The Liberal party has one Indigenous senator and his objections to the proposed changes to the RDA is a lone voice and met with mixed responses from the public as one would expect because bigots are everywhere fighting for their freedom of expression regardless of the impact it has on other people, how it silences them. They have the right to free speech but other groups don't necessarily have the same freedom to protest since those so called reasonable thinking people will not respond well to the applecart being upset. The result is a firmer, entrenched belief than they held before.

This is my concern. Asylum seekers are scum, they're moslem, they're terrorists. The govt just axed their right to legal access based on these beliefs. To me that isnt reasonable at all.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post

Oh I think a great place to start would be more white people living in neighborhoods where they don't make up 90% of the population. We have economic and racial segregation in this country and that won't change until white people make a much greater effort to talk with, mix with, and live in close quarters with people of different races.

And I am just betting I'm the only one participating in this thread that lives in a predominately black neighborhood, does it by choice and not economic necessity, and actually rubs shoulders with, has conversations with, and lives side by side with people not of my race. And yet, I'm the racist.

Goodness me.

Blog Entries
    Oh I think a great place to start would be more white people living in neighborhoods where they don't make up 90% of the population. We have economic and racial segregation in this country and that won't change until white people make a much greater effort to talk with, mix with, and live in close quarters with people of different races.

And I am just betting I'm the only one participating in this thread that lives in a predominately black neighborhood, does it by choice and not economic necessity, and actually rubs shoulders with, has conversations with, and lives side by side with people not of my race. And yet, I'm the racist.

Goodness me.
    I didn't tag you racist but If I want to know about racism do you think I would ask a white person who has rubbed shoulders with blacks or the very people who cannot escape the oppressive racism itself? Your location might bring the mirror closer but that's it. You sir still enjoy white privilege as I do despite the fact that I too live in a similar area.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    I didn't tag you racist but If I want to know about racism do you think I would ask a white person who has rubbed shoulders with blacks or the very people who cannot escape the oppressive racism itself? Your location might bring the mirror closer but that's it. You sir still enjoy white privilege as I do despite the fact that I too live in a similar area.
    Oh believe me I know, nor do I think for one minute that walking a mile in someone else's shoes makes a hill of beans.
    Racism and poverty are fast friends, you can't hope to end the one without ending the other.

Blog Entries
    Racism and poverty are fast friends, you can't hope to end the one without ending the other.
    Would you mind clarifying this statement for my benefit?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast