Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What books were you unable to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    Couldn't finish...or hardly start "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie. No intention to try again either.
    I found it difficult getting to page 50, then gave up. Also gave up on:

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
    Hunchback of Notre Dame - Hugo (though I did make it through Les Miserables with great enjoyment)
    Mason & Dixon - Pynchon
    Remembrance of Things Past - Proust
    Being & Time - Heidegger
    The Rainbow - D.H. Lawrence (made it through Sons & Lovers, wish I'd given up...)
    Naked Lunch - Burroughs (Junkie was a good read.)
    Treatise on Human Nature - Hume
    Fear & Trembling - Kirkegaard
    Physics - Aristotle (Made it through Nicomachean Ethics, with a struggle)
    The Bible

I did make it through one Iliad (Rieu's translation!) but not another (Fagles' translation)

Quote Originally Posted by ladderandbucket View Post
    Another one is Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. The first half is a real grind. I expect many thousands of people have given up on it. They missed out because the second half is some of Conrad's best work.
    I also found this, and "Lord Jim" followed a similar pattern. He's the only author I've encountered who starts as a tedious grind and finishes well. So (apart from Conrad) give up if it's a grind! There's enough literature out there that's great all the way through, why waste time with something you aren't enjoying.

I gave up on Catch 22. I'm sure it has many merits but I just couldn't stand his sense of humour.

That said, I think if a book has a reputation it is often worth persevering with.
    I put down Catch 22 when I first tried it about age 14. It annoyed me. I read last year. I cannot say I really enjoyed it except for the Milo Minderbender parody of the stock market/financial sector, which I thought was brilliant.

I've just finished War and Peace and thought the second half was far superior to the first. It begins like a 19th Century Russian soap opera, kind of interesting but not the Tolstoy I knew from Ivan Ilyich or Kreutzer Sonata. By the end it felt like a very different book.

Another one is Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. The first half is a real grind. I expect many thousands of people have given up on it. They missed out because the second half is some of Conrad's best work.
    Nostromo is reputed to be Conrad's best book. In a weak moment I bought a copy, so I ought to read it. I am not looking forward to it. I am sure I won't finish it feeling happy and uplifted.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post

Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes - I know a lot of people love this book, but it was a very long book that I found became rather repetitive very quickly.
    I agree with this. I slogged through the first part. Didn't fancy the second part.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I always avoid the brouhaha surrounding books, films, or anything else that involves mass marketing. However, the publicity surrounding The Satanic Verses convinced me that 1.6 billion Muslims can't be wrong.
    They weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    They weren't.
    That it was a blasphemous novel?
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Quote Originally Posted by Poetaster View Post
    Possibly but overhyped definitely
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I also found this, and "Lord Jim" followed a similar pattern. He's the only author I've encountered who starts as a tedious grind and finishes well. So (apart from Conrad) give up if it's a grind! There's enough literature out there that's great all the way through, why waste time with something you aren't enjoying.
    Sounds like the literary equivalent of French director Henri-Georges Clouzot (The Wages of Fear, Diabolique)--takes his sweet time setting everything up, but by the end you have pieces of the couch under your fingernails.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I found it difficult getting to page 50, then gave up. Also gave up on:

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
    What??

I think people are too easily intimidated with picaresque and complex works which do not read like airport novels. This and a few other books you listed require considerable investment of mind and time.

Reading constitutes more than just perfunctory enjoyment; it's hard work, reading a great work of fiction is always hard work (one only need to think of War and Peace and In Search of Lost Time) but the dividends at the end of the day are immense. One masterpiece vs 100 mediocrities and the scale will still tilt downwards on the side of the masterpiece.

It wasn't very blasphemous. It implied Mohammed was a bit of a politician, but that was only a substrand of the story.

It wasn't very blasphemous. It implied Mohammed was a bit of a politician, but that was only a substrand of the story.
    Ah, I've not actually read it. It's sitting in my 'to read' pile. Any good?

Open question.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Open question.
    IMO, no. It's not an impossible slog. I just didn't like it.

Blog Entries
    Recently I have been not finishing books because of my Kindle. I don't invest much time and effort in choosing what to read any more, if I don't like it, it I just leave it and click on the next one. Life's too short (and so is my attention span in this modern age.)

The two books I couldn't finish for significant reasons, were "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist" - because I became too painfully involved with a character's plight and began to feel depressed in a scary way - and "When the Lion Feeds" by Wilbur Smith.

Not finishing the Smith one was a life changing moment. I was a fan, I bought the book as soon as it came out, I couldn't wait to get it home. I began reading and 10 pages in suddenly saw that it was formulaic crap , and realized that most popular fiction was formulaic crap too. I do mean "suddenly", in a flash the tawdry tricks and cliches the author was using were revealed and I hated it. I put it down and decided to seek out quality Literature from then on. I am still seeking it out now, and I am in no doubt that what I've read since has had a great affect on my outlook on life.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 07-24-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    ay up

Blog Entries

Open question.
    I found it entertaining.
    ay up

If you tell the Muslims that Muhammad was a bit of a politician they will nod their heads in agreement. Of course he was; he was the leader of a new state and he traded and signed treatises of peace and went to war when his nascent community was threatened and etc etc. But he was a 'good' politician. You know what I mean.

In between the larger debate, the real offensive stuff in The Satanic Verses was the depiction Muhammad as being under the influence of Satan, about Quran a book that teaches how to "fart, f*** and clean one's behind", and the scene from a bordello where prostitutes are named after the prophet's many wives. It was these deliberately designed insults which got the better of the believers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast