Thread: The Taming of The Shrew

VOM

Who tamed who!

I would say that like most married women with overbaring husbands, Kate tamed Petruchio, although Petruchio "thought" he tamed her!! The gentleness she exhibited at the final dinner banquet was her manner of "taming" him and allowing him to think he tamed her. It goes on every day in households across the world. Probably happened in Shakespere's home, too, and that's why he could write about it so realistically. He must have been a great observer of human behaviour to have captured human emotions, reactions so well, and, for his plays to have lived so long that they are still relevent to human emotions, today. I love his works! They are the best!!

Hollie

No Subject

I agree with your comment that the end of they play was some what of a let down, for a women to have such a spirit, then for it to die in the name of love! Its like Shakespeare ran out of time and just decided to end it sharply, but then i just remebered it is a play inside a play, told to sly who after all is just a drunk, so maybe it was shakespeares way of saying, men cant really accept a women, untill they accept themselves as inferior to men?!

Unregistered

No Subject

YOU GO GIRL!!! I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Cherisse

The Taming of The Shrew

I have loved this play ever since I've read it in a story form. It's movie version, including Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor was well-done. The Taming of the Shrew is perhaps one of Shakespeare's funniest plays. I have always admired Katherine's fiery independance and wit. I must admit to being disappointed that at the end of the play she seemed to have assumed the role of a stereotypical woman.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Cherisse View Post
    I have loved this play ever since I've read it in a story form. It's movie version, including Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor was well-done. The Taming of the Shrew is perhaps one of Shakespeare's funniest plays. I have always admired Katherine's fiery independance and wit. I must admit to being disappointed that at the end of the play she seemed to have assumed the role of a stereotypical woman.
    hey there.. urmm im kinda hoping you will help me.. on an english essay about what was the role of men and women and was kate treated fairly and stuff like that and hoping you cud give me a good answear xhannahx