• i disageree

0 0%
  • i do not understand the question

2 25.00%
  • i am a poet and i am not self centered

4 50.00%

Thread: are poets sefl-centered?

are poets sefl-centered?

I personally think poetry is for the masses by the masses and those who differ in views may think again.
    I however think stories are for the upper mass who think poetry is too short to give it time and so delve into encyclopaedic worlds of words to create a monster-piece of light grabbing literacy device.
    what is a poem after all compared to a story with a hardcover painted back?

please discuss.
    Last edited by cacian; 01-21-2014 at 05:54 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    According to my view:

No, poetry is more affective than other branches of literature, it does what the sword does, and perhaps concentrated idea conveys a wide message is worthy to be read.
    Furthermore people haven't sufficient time to read long works.
    Generally, this matter is to the reader choice and his taste.
    poetry for me is more tasty than stories even if I write stories.
    To your question: Are poets self centered? I think no...
    last notice:
    I can bring here many poems written by kings or princes to the masses, this by no means it does mean poetry is written by masses for masses. I think it is wrong idea
    Last edited by Mohammad Ahmad; 01-21-2014 at 06:14 AM.
    My country is the Home of Honour And
    Without honour I haven't Home
    MMA

Blog Entries
    I don`t think that poets, writers or astists are self- centred. It depends. There are many such people not being poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Ahmad View Post
    According to my view:

No, poetry is more affective than other branches of literature, it does what the sword does, and perhaps concentrated idea conveys a wide message is worthy to be read.
    Furthermore people haven't sufficient time to read long works.
    Generally, this matter is to the reader choice and his taste.
    poetry for me is more tasty than stories even if I write stories.
    To your question: Are poets self centered? I think no...
    last notice:
    I can bring here many poems written by kings or princes to the masses, this by no means it does mean poetry is written by masses for masses. I think it is wrong idea
    kings or princes they may be but they are writers first and that makes them the same as any other human being.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Depends which poets. Some poets didn't even leave their names to their works - how could that be "self-centered".

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Depends which poets. Some poets didn't even leave their names to their works - how could that be "self-centered".
    but that is self-centered not leave a trace. is it not?
    Last edited by cacian; 01-21-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    but that is self-cantered not leave a trace. is it not?
    In that case, you might as well just ask: are people self-centred? To which the answer, of course, is 'some'.

Also...

I however think stories are for the upper mass who think poetry is too short to give it time and so delve into encyclopaedic worlds of words to create a monster-piece of light grabbing literacy device.
    Words fail me. Sadly, they don't seem to fail you. What on earth does it mean?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I personally think poetry is for the masses by the masses [...] I however think stories are for the upper mass who think poetry is too short to give it time
    I think there's a paradox there.

Poetry is enjoyed at different levels of experience. 'All' poetry can not be universal for this reason. But this is also why the 'better' poetry (and again this is subjective), by which I mean the poetry which calls itself revolutionary, which aims for metaphysical realities and expansive concepts of literary theory won't hit the mark in this day and age.

That poetry is reserved for the academics and aspirers. Poetry is an action, it does not incite action, therefore it is the 'better art' - not the 'necessary art'. The necessary art is the one that is truly universally comprehensible and encourages action, even if it's just in the form of discussion. Harry Potter is a necessary art... Banksy is a necessary art... it brought world's together. Education should not be dumbed down to appeal to masses, but similarly, the masses should be catered for with respect to universality.

Are poets self-centred? Whitman was, imo... but then maybe I'm self-centred to assert as much? And maybe there's a shadow of superiority in pointing out conceit in someone else?
    Last edited by missylovalova; 03-05-2014 at 04:53 PM.

My answer to this would be the same if you ask it of people in general: while it varies between individuals, I think poets, like people, are generally self-centered. While there are, eg, activist poets and nationalist poets and entertainment poets, most poets end up culling mostly from their own life and experiences, even if those experiences are what other art is out there (like Eliot's Tradition and the Individual Talent). By self-centered I don't think that necessarily means that all poets are autobiographical, but merely that they're writing poetry for themselves, primarily, and its ability to appeal to others is just a nice bi-product.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers