Thread: The book of Ruth

The book of Ruth

In one of the chapters, Bethsheba, prompted by Libby, uses a key and bible to foresee the name of her future husband. How does this work? Bethsheba turns red, but does not say why. The book of Ruth, which is where she opens the bible, has only four pages. I read through it, but there was no mention of a Gabriel. It mentions a landowner called Boaz quite a bit, but there is no Boaz in FFTMC. Even accounting for the greater use of Old Testament names in the 19th century, the only men's names that were still in usage were David and Jesse.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Interesting questions for which I have absolutely no answer for. maybe someone else out there is more familiar with 19th century Englsih fortune telling techniques and/or the significance of the Book of Ruth. I would be curious to know.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

This website shows how it was done. Basically, you slip a key in the bible at the start of the book of Ruth with the end hanging out. Then you close the bible and tie it up with string. Then you hold the bible by the key and repeat, 'Will I marry <so and so>' until the bible falls off. Seems rather sacreligious for a God fearing person from the 1840s, but Bathsheba saw that someone had performed the ritual before on her uncle's bible.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    kev's link quotes from Ruth "Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live" to make it an appropriate text for finding out who you will marry.

But Ruth isn't saying that to her future husband but to her widowed mother in law (Ruth being also widowed.) It is a passage understandably a favourite with christian lesbians.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1