Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most memorable hotels and motels in fiction literature

The most memorable hotels and motels in fiction literature

Hi everybody.

I guess many of us have thought about how our background, our expertise and education affects the way we perceive written word. Those of you who are somehow related to firearms can easily detect when an author has flaws in their description of weapons. The same goes with lawyers and actual policemen who can easily tell the difference between real police work and that described in detective novels.

Yes, writers make mistakes from time to time, but that's what we can forgive them in favor of a good style and mesmerizing story. After all, they can not cover every field of knowledge.

So what I am getting at is that I've been working in travel industry for quite a while (hotel related industry to be exact) and every time I come upon a description of a hotel, inn, motel and stuff like that, it captures my attention at once.

At this particular moment I can think of "Cheap Hotel" described by William Gibson in the "Neuromancer" novel. The one with small compartments in it where there is only enough space to accommodate your body in horizontal position. The compartments might be somewhat reminiscent of those you see in morgues with dead people lying inside.

The second hotel that comes to my mind is the one described in the novel "Mostly Harmless" by Douglas Adams. Actually, it was a motel on the planet of NowWhat. Maybe some of you can remember it.

What I want is for everyone interested to try to remember some of the most prominent stays and accommodation mentioned in fiction literature. Even 10 of those would be quite nice.

I hope for some feedback and I beg your pardon for my English since it is my second language.

Given the feedback from the readers, I will be adding the hotels in the list below to keep all the stuff together. Later on I believe I will make an article based on the list.

The Almayers Inn, the "Ocean Sea" novel by Alessandro Baricco & Alastair McEwen
    Hotel Trianon, "The Comedians" novel by Graham Greene
    The Overlook Hotel, "The Shining" novel by Stephen King
    Bates Motel, "Psycho" novel by Robert Bloch
    Last edited by EugeneKrall; 03-13-2012 at 03:51 AM.

archivist extraordinaire AlysonofBathe's Avatar
    Interesting question - I'd have to say the only one that really sticks out in my mind is the Hotel Trianon from Greene's The Comedians. A lot of that book takes place in it, and I think I've read somewhere that it was based on an actual hotel in Port-au-Prince.

Cheers,
    Alyson
    Alyson of Bathe's feeble attempt at completing the 1001 books challenge. You would think a former English major would have a better start than this. For the Reading.

Blog Entries
    The Almayer inn from ocean sea
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

The Overlook from The Shining certainly has the most personality.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Cool Bates Motel ....

from Psycho

Cool Bates Motel ....

from Psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonofBathe View Post
    Interesting question - I'd have to say the only one that really sticks out in my mind is the Hotel Trianon from Greene's The Comedians. A lot of that book takes place in it, and I think I've read somewhere that it was based on an actual hotel in Port-au-Prince.

Cheers,
    Alyson

I can not believe that I could have forgotten about Stephen King's "Shining", even though the whole story takes place in it. It is certainly going to be in the top 10 hotels described in a work of fiction.

It was one of the first novels by Stephen King I read. Back in the good old days when I still read in Russian.

Thanks Alyson for not letting me pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    The Overlook from The Shining certainly has the most personality.
    I can not believe that I could have forgotten about Stephen King's "Shining", even though the whole story takes place in it. It is certainly going to be in the top 10 hotels described in a work of fiction.

It was one of the first novels by Stephen King I read. Back in the good old days when I still read in Russian.

Thanks Alyson for not letting me pass on this one.

Cheers,
    Alyson
    It is something I've never heard of (shame on me, of course), but the fact the hotel is based on a real one certainly makes me think of checking this out. I will find time to read it (or listen to an audiobook based on the novel) in the nearest future.

Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    from Psycho.
    Since I've been thinking on reading the novel, I guess I will have a chance to find out more about this motel, and given the popularity of the novel I believe it's gonna be something standing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    The Almayer inn from ocean sea
    It is something from the new stuff? From the description I can tell it is one of those which leave permanent impression on you. I should give it a check.

The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden

Room with a View - Forster. The room was in a fascinating hotel in Florence.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries

Cheers,
    Alyson
    Yes, it's based on the Oloffson Hotel in Port-au-Prince. I have been there and it's pretty charming. It's also still a eclectic gathering place for the Elite, Greene fans, and curious people.

The Maypole Inn - Barnaby Rudge A Tale of the Riots of 'Eighty

The Maypole Inn, on the edges of Epping Forest, at a distance of about twelve miles from London is central to the plot, a character in the book itself.
    Old John Willet the proprietor and son Joe

The Maypole stood for old England and is burnt to the ground by the rioters. The rebuilding of the inn at the end of the book symbolizes a new beginning and hope for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast