Thread: Help for a newbee with Charles Dickens

Help for a newbee with Charles Dickens

Hello fellow bookworms. Have just joined this forum and am looking forward to researching and chatting with fellow readers.

I have a request to start with. As I have a very old collection of Charles Dickens books titled Household Words which I am trying to research some details of, like the age of this collection and the value, I am looking for some assistance.

So far the searches of Charles Dickens sites I have tried have not given any reference to this collection.

There are 16 volumes in the collection ( no volumes 1 and 9 ). Very fragile and have been in my family, at least, since the 1930's.

Have tried to attach a photo but without success.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dareen View Post
    Hello fellow bookworms. Have just joined this forum and am looking forward to researching and chatting with fellow readers.

I have a request to start with. As I have a very old collection of Charles Dickens books titled Household Words which I am trying to research some details of, like the age of this collection and the value, I am looking for some assistance.

So far the searches of Charles Dickens sites I have tried have not given any reference to this collection.

There are 16 volumes in the collection ( no volumes 1 and 9 ). Very fragile and have been in my family, at least, since the 1930's.

Have tried to attach a photo but without success.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Fred
    Do any of the editions have title pages that could tell you the publisher? There was an explosion of fairly high quality home library collections of major authors in the early 20th century, and this could easily belong to that period. I'm not a book collector but these collections are usually not very valuable. I know some people around here have resources for book collectors and might be able to better help you with pricing.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 02-23-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Thank you for your reply OrphanPip,

Looks like I have one of the sets you are speaking of.

Have found the name of a local 'old book expert' here in Qld Australia, so will see what he has to say.

Thank you again.

Cheers, Fred

Chances are that they are bound copies of "Household Words," the weekly magazine that Dickens published in the 1850s. They were published by Dickens's office on Wellington Street N. in London.