Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World authors join protest against Putin

Quote Originally Posted by Der Wegwerfer View Post
    certainly not a Putin fan or someone who claims to understand Russian culture and society but I think it's strange that I've heard so much more about "rights abuses" in the lead up to Sochi than Beijing. What's going on in Beijing is much worse and on a far wider scale than Russia, including of course child labor.
    There was plenty of condemning of China before the Beijing games. Putin is flaunting the abuses which does make for more media coverage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luhsun View Post
    Charles dickens moved his readers to tears and helped the political process of outlawing child labour. Our famous writers now can only regress to signing petition .. and one is known to hide for 40yrs his involvement in the waffen-ss. At least chen lin used his literary skills to condemn cao cao via a famous petition to the emperor.
    This complaint is silly. First of all, Dickens wrote numerous political pieces in journals and delivered speeches on political subjects. Secondly, you greatly overestimate the actual effect of fiction on creating political change. And finally, Salman Rushdie's writings were deemed politically volatile enough that there is still an outstanding Iranian fatwa on him, and Atwood's Handmaid's Tale is read in schools as a cautionary story about religious extremism. I'm sure many authors on that list have produced socially relevant literature.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

And you greatly overestimate the effects of petitions on putin

Blog Entries
    What a load of pessimists on this thread...

At least they are doing something. Would you rather the entire world just did nothing at all to protest against homophobia and other injustices? I don't see any of you doing anything to make the world a better place yourselves so you have no right to criticize people who are actually trying to make a difference, no matter how small it is.

The open letter will only provoke putin to clamp down harder. The open letter will do no good.. and i repeat my fears that they are semi literate bumpkins, or too lazy to spend time to write something worthwhile to persuade putin and his ilks.

Blog Entries
    I hava a question to you: Who of you have ever been in Russia? Do you think that petiton will change anything?

Quote Originally Posted by luhsun View Post
    The open letter will only provoke putin to clamp down harder. The open letter will do no good.. and i repeat my fears that they are semi literate bumpkins, or too lazy to spend time to write something worthwhile to persuade putin and his ilks.
    I'm with Volya, you guys are being needlessly pessimistic. First off, what do you expect to happen? Putin learns about the open letter then decides to, what, increase all the prison sentences on gays, make private homosexuality illegal, or what? Your opinion of Putin is even worse than mine is if you think he's so immature that he's going to go "Oh yeah, well since you wrote that nasty letter let me just make all my policies even worse!". The idea is comical.

Now to the second point you, luhsun, made. Once again, this isn't an either/or proposition. It's not as if writing this letter made it so the 200 authors couldn't "write something worthwhile to persuade putin and his ilks" as you put it. This open letter was surely an incredibly small investment of time, energy, and effort, yet it's something that a great number of people have heard about and are talking about. Sounds like an excellent ratio of effort to effect to me. Surely a great deal of those 200 authors already have, and will continue to write works that advocate equality, human rights, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah_arendt
    I hava a question to you: Who of you have ever been in Russia? Do you think that petiton will change anything?
    So you just want everybody to throw up their hands and call it pointless, because it might not change anything. Again, just needlessly pessimistic. This logic is along the lines of somebody saying "Have you ever even had pneumonia? How do you know this medicine/research will change anything?". One doesn't have to live in Russia to be well informed about the state of the country.

Maybe the letter will do nothing. Fine. But then again, maybe it will. And even if it doesn't do anything, there's nothing lost. Even if it merely makes these 200 authors, and those that support them feel some solidarity that they did something, and made their position known, even that is something.

Ahh.. so the open letter is also hypocritical. Putin will do no more harm, and it is cost effective... let me too shed a few exquisitely sad tears and write about the poor gays and commiserate with them when i sip my usd10 coffee and nibble the dainty pastries at orchard road (singapore) this weekend

Blog Entries
    I think that you are not aware of many things happening in part of Europe where I live in and you don`t understand it. In Russia and other post soviet countries the main problems is money and awareness. Most western politics and their words about helping Russia or Ucraine seems to me a hypocrisy for me. You don`t have to agree with me. THe situation with Putin is more complicated. Do you think that gays` problems are importants for a Russian who cannot make ends meet? It is easy to say when you don`t have any serious problems. Naturally, Putin should have passed such law.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah_arendt View Post
    Do you think that gays` problems are importants for a Russian who cannot make ends meet? It is easy to say when you don`t have any serious problems. Naturally, Putin should have passed such law.
    So it's alright to throw people in jail for nothing, insult people, and talk rubbish, if you can't make ends meet?

To dismiss everything as unimportant that doesn't put bread on the table is to live like an animal. Of course, if you are starving, then you should devote all your immediate efforts to finding a soup kitchen, but you shouldn't kick gays or protesting women on the way. (Thinking of "pussy riot" here...)

You might say, kindly, "I can't listen now 'cause I need to find food." But to dismiss the issue as unimportant, is to dismiss your own intelligence - and that should be the last thing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    What a load of pessimists on this thread...

At least they are doing something. Would you rather the entire world just did nothing at all to protest against homophobia and other injustices? I don't see any of you doing anything to make the world a better place yourselves so you have no right to criticize people who are actually trying to make a difference, no matter how small it is.
    I agree. To be sure, this letter will not achieve a lot, but ultimately the only ones who can make a real difference are Russians themselves. This will, of course, require a monumental change of mentality in majority of Russians as they had their rights stepped over and over for many centuries and acquired something akin to slave mentality.

Still, I believe it is good that there is an international protest against injustice.

Blog Entries
    Everybody has the the right to have his opinion without being called idiot.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Don`t you think that some people criticise Putin but are afraid of doing the same against China or Corea?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Wegwerfer View Post
    certainly not a Putin fan or someone who claims to understand Russian culture and society but I think it's strange that I've heard so much more about "rights abuses" in the lead up to Sochi than Beijing. What's going on in Beijing is much worse and on a far wider scale than Russia, including of course child labor.
    I agree. Don`t you think that some people criticise Putin but are afraid of doing the same against China or Corea?

Fierce little cowards, safely ensconced in the west, think it is their holy duty to egg on idealistic quixotes to rise up against despots. Fly to russia or china or afghanistan..and fight the good fight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast