Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World authors join protest against Putin

Blog Entries
    These authors are doing more with their letter (even though admittedly it will achieve next to nothing) than any of the complainers in this thread are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by luhsun View Post
    Fierce little cowards, safely ensconced in the west, think it is their holy duty to egg on idealistic quixotes to rise up against despots. Fly to russia or china or afghanistan..and fight the good fight
    When I think of "safely ensconced" writers, Rushdie is the first name that comes to mind. It's obvious you are just trolling seeing as how you didn't even bother to see if perhaps there were Russians or Chinese authors involved.

You wrong me, wondra...if you had only read down one more sentence..you would have noticed that i also mentioned the idealistic quixotes. These may end up like the pussy riots members who did languish in prisons and then cattily fight each others for handouts when superstars hold concerts to reward them for their valour.

You wrong me, wondra...if you had only read down one more sentence..you would have noticed that i also mentioned the idealistic quixotes. These may end up like the pussy riots members who did languish in prisons and then cattily fight each others for handouts when superstars hold concerts to reward them for their valour.
    And would you support putting these idealistic quixotes in prison?

Nyet... but i hope you would fly to moscow and raise money or hold book signings ceremony for them after they finish their stints in siberia.

Nyet... but i hope you would fly to moscow and raise money or hold book signings ceremony for them after they finish their stints in siberia.
    Right.. I think I'm just going to have to disagree with your outlook on this issue entirely.

Registered User Immemorial Joel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    Out of curiosity…are they gonna protest the hundred and hundreds of other horrible dictators and autocrats who commit terrible human rights abuses that are still currently active…or just the easiest, most obvious target that everyone has been jumping on the bandwagon of criticising lately (deservedly)?

I mean, it's nice and all, but it's hardly courageous and it feels pretty empty.
    But anti-Putunism is the current zeitgeist and therefore has the potential to amount to something significant. These "other horrible dictators" are too numerous to simultaneously dethrone; the act of dismantling an oppressive regime must be done one at a time, and following the zeitgeist is the most effective way to achieve such an end.

Putin is yet to be put out. Russians seem to like macho czars. He plays a weak hand well from a Machiavellian point of view. But he has not noticeably presided over an improved material life for the average Boris. Much wealth has been siphoned off by corrupt cronies of the elite and much has gone overseas for conspicuous expenditure by abramoviches , libroviches and other viches

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123