Thread: Xenophobe's Guide to the English by Antony Miall

Xenophobe's Guide to the English by Antony Miall

This little book is an hilarious series of tongue in cheek observations with a solid vein of truth running through them.
    It's essential reading for foreigners wanting to understand the English character.

Here are a few extracts:

'Nine hundred years ago the last invasion of England was perpetrated by the Normans. They settled, tried to integrate themselves with the indigenous population and failed.
    The indigenous population then, as now, displayed an utter contempt for them not merely because they had conquered but more importantly because they had come from abroad.
    Even today descendants of those Normans who think to impress with a throw-away remark about their families having "come over with the Conqueror" find themselves on the receiving end of the sort of English frost normally reserved for someone who has broken wind in a lift between floors.'

The book goes on to underline the English distrust of foreigners thus:

'Germans are megalomaniac; the Italians are hysterical and dishonest; the Spanish, lazy; the Russians gloomy; and the Scandinavians, Dutch, Belgians and Swiss, dull. Further afield English odium is no less concentrated. Americans and Australians are vulgar, Canadians are boring, and all oriental peoples inscrutable and dangerous.'

Turning to how the English perceive their own country, the author notes:

'The English have a natural distrust of the unfamiliar and nowhere is this more clearly seen than in their attitude to the geography of their own country.
    Since time immemorial there has been a North-South divide in England. To the Southerner, civilaztion ends at Potters Bar. Beyond that point, he believes, the inhabitants are all ruddier in complexion, more hirsute and blunt to the point of rudeness. These traits he generously puts down to the cooler climate.
    In the North they frighten their children to sleep with tales of the deviousness of the inhabitants " down South."
    They point to their softness, their mucked-about food and airy-fairiness on all matters of real importance. Nevertheless, any English man or woman, no matter how soft or hairy, is entitled to special treatment as, to a lesser extent, are the inhabitants of those countries which represent the English conscience -- once the Empire, now the shrinking Commonwealth.'

Under the heading 'Sex', the book amusingly points out that....'while other nations celebrate their sexuality, to a greater or lesser extent, the English regard theirs as the enemy within.'
    However....: 'Voyeurism is a favourite hobby. The English love to read about sex. Newspapers are full of the bedtime exploits of others and the peccadillos of the famous are a constant thrill. Nothing, not even the act itself, can enthral the English quite as much as reading about some sado-masochistic pillar of society caught bending over in Bayswater on a Sunday afternoon.'

There are many other observations on Englishness, including : animals; children; manners; tradition etc. etc. but in deference to the literary nature of this forum, here's a snippet from the English attitude to culture:

'England is the country of Shakespeare, Milton, Byron and Beatrix Potter. The first is, by common consent, a hero of the human race, a Titan of literature against whom all other writers of the past four hundred years have been measured. The second two are worthy names in most literate households. But the work of the fourth is best known to the English; for while the first three tended to write about people, Beatrix Potter wrote about animals and the English prefer animals and understand them better.
    Close on the heels of Beatrix Potter comes the sinister A.A. Milne, whose Winnie the Pooh - written by an adult for other adults but passed of as a children's book - is read by adults for the rest of their lives.
    Paradise Lost, sadly deficient in the fauna department, stays firmly between its covers.'
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 01-31-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Emil, I've got to read this. I've read the one about the Germans and for some reason I thought I own the one about the English, but it seems I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    Emil, I've got to read this. I've read the one about the Germans and for some reason I thought I own the one about the English, but it seems I don't.
    Well I hope you manage to get hold of a copy although I don't know whether it's still in print as my copy is dated 1993. I have just been rereading it and it's so funny. Here's what it says about 'Niceness':

'Nice' is the most overworked word in the English language whose meaning can only be derived from its context.
    In its negative form - " not very nice" - it describes habits as diverse as nose picking and canabalism.

If you cannot get a copy, you might try my book A Tangled Web that has a very English protagonist living abroad. It also has a chapter set in your hometown of Nuremberg.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Well I hope you manage to get hold of a copy although I don't know whether it's still in print as my copy is dated 1993. I have just been rereading it and it's so funny. Here's what it says about 'Niceness':

'Nice' is the most overworked word in the English language whose meaning can only be derived from its context.
    In its negative form - " not very nice" - it describes habits as diverse as nose picking and canabalism.

If you cannot get a copy, you might try my book A Tangled Web that has a very English protagonist living abroad. It also has a chapter set in your hometown of Nuremberg.
    Where could I find your book?

Where could I find your book?
    Just Google 'A Tangled Web by Emil Miller' and check out the Amazon advertisement.

Blog Entries
    Just Google 'A Tangled Web by Emil Miller' and check out the Amazon advertisement.
    It's only got a kindle edition and I don't have kindle. It says there's a free kindle app, I'll see whether I can download that onto my laptop or whether you need a smart phone or something.

It's only got a kindle edition and I don't have kindle. It says there's a free kindle app, I'll see whether I can download that onto my laptop or whether you need a smart phone or something.
    Yes I forgot to mention that but it seems that their app will let you download to a laptop. Please let me know if it works.

Blog Entries
    Yes I forgot to mention that but it seems that their app will let you download to a laptop. Please let me know if it works.
    I'll try it when I'm back home in England. Were on holiday at the moment.

What did you have to do to publish your book on amazon? Do you have to pay to post it as a kindle file?
    It's just I've got something in the pipeline and am looking for an easy way to publish it.

I'll try it when I'm back home in England. Were on holiday at the moment.

What did you have to do to publish your book on amazon? Do you have to pay to post it as a kindle file?
    It's just I've got something in the pipeline and am looking for an easy way to publish it.
    As far as I know, Amazon don't publish books but are an online company that makes published books available to the public.
    You will have to find a publisher first and Amazon will stock electronic copies of the book for anyone who wants to purchase it.
    It's similar to how bookstores look for published work except that in Amazon's case, the books are downloaded onto a Kindle.
    If you do a deal with the publisher that allows for both paper and electronic copies, it then becomes possible for purchasers to buy the book in both formats.
    I did this with my first book that was published by another company but when using my current publisher, I decided that electronic editions only was the way to go. However, as the author, I am able to purchase paper copies for my own use.

Blog Entries
    As far as I know, Amazon don't publish books but are an online company that makes published books available to the public.
    You will have to find a publisher first and Amazon will stock electronic copies of the book for anyone who wants to purchase it.
    It's similar to how bookstores look for published work except that in Amazon's case, the books are downloaded onto a Kindle.
    If you do a deal with the publisher that allows for both paper and electronic copies, it then becomes possible for purchasers to buy the book in both formats.
    I did this with my first book that was published by another company but when using my current publisher, I decided that electronic editions only was the way to go. However, as the author, I am able to purchase paper copies for my own use.
    Oh, OK.
    I don't think my little book will be good enough for a real publisher. I might just post it on the internet then and see how it goes.