• * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

1 33.33%
  • *** Average.

2 66.67%
  • **** It is a good book.

0 0%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January '14 / Steampunk Reading: Pavane by Keith Roberts

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

January '14 / Steampunk Reading: Pavane by Keith Roberts

We are reading Pavane by Keith Roberts for our Steampunk reading.

Please share your thoughts and impressions in this thread.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Glad this won! I always keep this book handy for a reread, but haven't gotten back to it in years. Happy to have an excuse now.

Here's a link to the (non-spoilery) Wikipedia page for the curious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavane_%28novel%29
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I put a reservation so will probably not get it till next week sometime.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I just started reading the book, but just some initial thoughts.

This will be my first real venture into reading Steampunk. In general I have never been much of a reader of Science Fiction ( Dysptian fiction being the one major exception to that rule) but I am intrigued by Steampunk and it seems that it has recently started to become quite popular, not that is in itself a reason to make me interested in it, but because of its popularity I have come across a lot of Steampunk art, crafts, even people in Steampunk costumes, all of which I think looks quite cool and I have myself bought a few pieces of Steampunk jewelry.

My interest in history and historical fiction, with the fact that Steampunk is set in a historical setting is part of what peeks my interest in wanting to read it.

I am looking forward to this because it will be quite new and it is always fun exploring a new genre, and thus far I am enjoying the book. I do think it proposes an interesting concept, so I am curious to see how it all plays out.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I'm confused.In the first story it sounds like the guy is driving a steam powered train. But then in some paragraphs it seems like it's the train isn't on rails but driven like a car. What's the deal with that?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I'm confused.In the first story it sounds like the guy is driving a steam powered train. But then in some paragraphs it seems like it's the train isn't on rails but driven like a car. What's the deal with that?
    I believe it is a sort of cross between a car and a train.

Here is an image of what I think the Lady Margaret resembles

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    On another note I was curious about the title of the book as it seemed like an interesting word. I don't know if everyone else already knows this, but apparently Pavane is a type of courtly dance from the 16th century. I read that the book itself is meant to be divided into measures and a coda.

Blog Entries
    Just found this:

An alternate cover for the book which dipicts the Lady Margaret:

Those must be the semaphores in the background, at least that is sort of what I was picturing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Those must be the semaphores in the background, at least that is sort of what I was picturing.
    I just got to the part that mentioned the semaphores and yes I imagine that is probably them.

I have to say I don't know exactly what I was expecting, yet somehow this book is a bit different than I thought it would be. Though I am enjoying reading it, and quite curious to find out what will happen next, and where this is all going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I just got to the part that mentioned the semaphores and yes I imagine that is probably them.

I have to say I don't know exactly what I was expecting, yet somehow this book is a bit different than I thought it would be. Though I am enjoying reading it, and quite curious to find out what will happen next, and where this is all going.
    I just finished the second measure and I'm wondering how it all fits.

Finally finished my second reading of cousin's novel and writing her feedback, so I'll start this today.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Just finished the third measure. Slightly confused. What did she give the priest?????

Blog Entries
    One interesting thing I have noticed so far, at least within the first two measures are how much the book focuses upon the machinery. First the train, and than the semaphores. It seemed to be far about these devices then the people, though we do get an inside look at the lives of the individuals who control these devices. Thus far I still have not been offered a full picture of this world which the story is set within in. Just given small little glimpses that haven't really been put together yet.

~~~~~~Possible Spoilers~~~~~~

I was quite surprised by the appearance of these so called fairy people and interested in perhaps learning more about them and what there role within the story might be. I did really enjoy the allusions to Norse Mythology in Rafe's fevered dreams, but I was surprised to learn of his death, but I wonder if after his visitation by the fairy folk he will make a reappearance within the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    One interesting thing I have noticed so far, at least within the first two measures are how much the book focuses upon the machinery. First the train, and than the semaphores. It seemed to be far about these devices then the people, though we do get an inside look at the lives of the individuals who control these devices. Thus far I still have not been offered a full picture of this world which the story is set within in. Just given small little glimpses that haven't really been put together yet.
    I hadn't looked at it that way but you're right. The third measure is no different and the fourth is shaping up to be the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast