Thread: Annual Short Story Competition '14

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Annual Short Story Competition '14

Dear All,

The Literature Network will hold an annual short story competition, which will be open to all its members. The rules of the competition are:

1. The stories should be submitted as email attachments in MS Word format and should be minimum 500 and maximum 2000 words and include your Forum names as well. Please send your stories to [email protected]. Please do not post your stories on the Forum!

2. There will be 5 selections (in February, April, June, August and October) throughout the year and only the stories which have been submitted before the first of these months will be included in that month's elimination. The five stories which win the each selection will take part in the final voting in November and December.

3. Members can submit only one entry for each selection round. If their story is a winner, they will not be allowed to take part in other selections.

4. The Admin or Moderators are not responsible for editing or correcting of the stories and therefore the writers themselves are required to make sure that there are no grammatical or spelling errors. The submitted copy is final and further corrections by the writers will be disregarded.

5. Please still submit your stories in MS Word.docs. or Rich Text.rtf or Notepad.txt files, but PLAIN TEXT only.

If you want to FORMAT your stories, use the vBulletin forum codes, which can be found here:

http://www.online-literature.com/for....php?do=bbcode

6. Only those members with at least 100 posts by each voting period can submit stories for the competition and vote in the polls.

7. Those who enter the competition agree to keep the information on their identities and stories confidential till the end of that year (only the Admin and Moderators will have access to that information). Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

8. All entries should be your own original work and not have appeared anywhere else before. Authors retain the copyright rights for the stories submitted to the competition.

9. All submissions must be your sole creative work and written for this particular competition. Anyone found plagiarising will be disqualified from this and all future contests.

10. If one of the 5 entrants selected for the final vote are no longer a member of the site at the time of the final vote, they forfeit their entry and the second place entry for their leg of entries gets bumped to first place.

11. You can withdraw a story during the submission period; however, once the voting starts, no story can be withdrawn.

Good luck!
    Those members who would like to take part in the first elimination in February can send their entries now (by January 31st).
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Last 4 days to submit your stories!
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Hi,

No October elimination this time?
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

Blog Entries
    Yes Nikhar indeed, are we the only ones lost, expecting to find stories here?

Ничего нет лучше для исправления, как прежнее с раскаянием вспомнить.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No wonder people don't post poems in our many "unofficial" contests where the only prize is bragging rights. No one is posting stories in our "official" short story contest. which has a cash prize of $100. If people won't write for money... Jeez! sigh...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    I hope people start writing for this contest.

Blog Entries
    Hmm I don't know what's happening. A simple message that there would be no October elimination would also have sufficed. I submitted one of my stories for this elimination and I haven't received any reply regarding this at all. Neither via mail nor pm nor on this thread.

It's been 24 days in October now. The least one would expect is some kind of reply. I am not surprised that with this kind of response people are not submitting their stories. I am sorry if I sound rude but I worked hard to finish the story (however good or bad it may be) to meet the October 1st deadline. For about 2 weeks I regularly checked my mail and the website for any update. Then I just gave up.
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

Blog Entries
    I'll also like to point out that I have largely been absent from the forum for the last couple of years. I got too busy with my college. So someone might think I don't have the right to complaint. Maybe.

Maybe not. My post count would suggest that I used to be a decent user of the forum for quite some time. In fact, we formed a facebook fan page for Litnet. I wanted to get back to the forum with submitting a short story for the contest. I've always enjoyed these contests and have received some very valuable feedback due to these contests that have helped me improve as a writer. So I was very eager to complete my story in time for October elimination.

But the lack of response has just been too disappointing.
    Nikhar Agrawal

I am sorry. Due to personal circumstances, I let the ball drop but picking it up again as of today.

The competition will resume.
    ~
    ~