Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: listing all Pub Names you have ever come across

I happened to be in Richmond the other day and although I had been to the Angel and Crown ( a very old pub tucked away down a narrow alley) before, I felt in need of a good strong English ale and was prepared to overlook my original impression of a few years earlier as the pub serves Fullers ESB.
    The beer was the same but, if anything, the customers were worse than I recalled. As is my wont on these occasions, I wrote a review for the pub guide:

'I discovered this pub by chance a couple of years ago and was pleased to note that it was a Fullers house, as I'm partial to ESB , and I must say the beer is well kept. Unfortunately that's where my admiration ends, because the clientele are some of the most foul-mouthed old tossers I have ever encountered. It seems that the pub is the repository of the kind of English grotesquerie that one imagines died out in the 18th century. It's possible to sit outside in the narrow lane off of the high road but the plonkers, who make your average Wetherspoons plonker look like the Marquess of Salisbury, are not content to remain inside and are likely to be encountered in the small seating area outside.
    Do not go there unless desperate for a pint of ESB.'
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

'Cum Again'
    But you, cloudless girl, question of smoke, corn tassel
    You were what the wind was making with illuminated leaves.
    ah, I can say nothing! You were made of everything.

_Pablo Neruda

The best pub near me is The Nags Head. It's won the Reading CAMRA best pub for the past five years, more or less. Even on a Monday evening it is likely to be packed. It is so busy, I sometimes went a bit further on to The Butler for a quiet drink. The Butler seemed well on its way to closure, but now the Nag's Head management team have taken it over and now that is getting busy.

The most intellectual pub in Reading used to be The Retreat. It's not every pub you go into where you might hear the landlady refer to John Maynard Keynes, or walk in to see the landlord soldering an electronic circuit. I was in there once and was puzzled to see a sort of executive toy on the wondow sill. iirc it was a metal disc in a glass dome. I couldn't work out why it was turning. The landlord explained the physics behind it. I can't remember what the explanation was but it had something to do with the top side being shiny and metallic and the underside being black. The landlady had a teenage daughter. Sometimes you'd be sitting in the bar listening to her argue with her mother or wheedle a tenner out of her step-father. You felt like you were in someone's front room and that you shouldn't be there. Sadly the landlord and landlady both retired from running that pub.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    The most intellectual pub in Reading used to be The Retreat. It's not every pub you go into where you might hear the landlady refer to John Maynard Keynes, or walk in to see the landlord soldering an electronic circuit. I was in there once and was puzzled to see a sort of executive toy on the wondow sill. iirc it was a metal disc in a glass dome. I couldn't work out why it was turning. The landlord explained the physics behind it. I can't remember what the explanation was but it had something to do with the top side being shiny and metallic and the underside being black. The landlady had a teenage daughter.
    That's interesting because one doesn't normally expect to find intellectual conversation in a pub, where invariably it's the beer doing the talking. Only yesterday, I was in a pub where one drinker in loud conversation announced that "Adolf Hitler was a painter and decorator."
    This misconception lives on in the minds' of ignorant plonkers whose beer belly is in direct disproportion to their brain.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I don't know if any members have been to Oxted in the English county of Surrey. It is a nice countrified location within easy reach of London but in recent times, it has ,like a number of similar towns in the South East of England, begun to go down.
    After a long cross-country walk, a pint or two of beer is usually a welcome experience but nowadays one has to choose the pub carefully.
    Here's another review for the Pub Guide

The Oxted Inn

I have occasionally used this pub in the past and it does depend at what time of day one chooses to visit. It's a large establishment with seating outside and during morning weekdays it's quite pleasant for a Wetherspoons, largely because it's possible to move away from any old plonkers who may be in attendance.
    During the evening, however, it becomes the favoured location for fat females with tattoos and baby buggies accompanied by their equally fat and tattooed male counterparts wearing the ubiquitous baseball cap.
    Oxted used to be a nice little country town inhabited by well-turned-out people but the barbarians broke through the economic barrier some time ago and Wetherspoons was their inevitable destination.

I remember a time when it was unnecessary to have 'bouncers' guarding pubs but, as this extract from the Pub Guide shows, they have now become de rigueur:

'Standing in the corner, minding his own business, my partner was having a good time moving to the music with two blown-up condoms, when the bouncer outside the main door decided it was not acceptable and asked us to leave.'

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    The Jenny Lind in Hampton Hill, Surrey. Jenny Lind was a nineteenth century opera singer. Doesn't sound Swedish but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    The Jenny Lind in Hampton Hill, Surrey. Jenny Lind was a nineteenth century opera singer. Doesn't sound Swedish but it is.
    She was known in England as the Swedish Nightingale. If you had read the comments on the pub, you would have seen that it has closed and been replaced by a Kentucky Fried Chicken shop.
    Isn't progress a wonderful thing ?

I knew it had closed and was now a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sad but true,though that doesn't disqualify it from the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I knew it had closed and was now a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sad but true,though that doesn't disqualify it from the thread.
    No not at all, it's about all pubs that members have known or have some knowledge of.

Apparently there is a new pub in Reading about to open. The chain (Hungry Horse) held a competition to name it and the winning entry was The Trooper Potts. Frederic Owen Potts won a Victoria Cross during WW1, the only man from Reading to do so.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

The George Orwell in Islington, though I believe it is now closed.

The Lamb is one of the oldest pubs in England, situated in Eastbourne on the south coast and a short journey from where I am intending to move next year .
    Until a few years ago, it had been managed by some idiots from London who virtually wrecked the place but it has now been restored to its former glory.

https://goo.gl/photos/yP42tYiqEvQ6847q9

Hi Emil, that looks like a great pub indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Hi Emil, that looks like a great pub indeed.
    Hi Neely, yes it's very cosy and, although somewhat off the beaten track, all the better for it as it's away from the town's Wetherspoons brigade. Just a short distance away is a large Waitrose supermarket that would serve to keep me supplied when visiting the pub.
    Much depends whether the deal i'm currently engaged in to buy a decent property down there comes to pass but, avoiding certain snags, I look forward to escaping what is now being openly referred to as Londonistan and where I can watch the coming conflagration with a certain amount of equanimity.
    I imagine your prolonged absence from the forum is due to your successful foray into the world of competition chess and the amount of time required to study the game. However, I hope you manage to contribute further to LitNet which is in need of stimulation from those who were once the backbone of the forum.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast