Thread: Eight Obstacles to be Avoided to have Firm Spiritual and Moral Reformations

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Eight Obstacles to be Avoided to have Firm Spiritual and Moral Reformations

Peace be on you.
    Following obstructions hinder sustainable spiritual and moral reformations.
    1- Keeping only short-term matters in view and ignoring accountability in Hereafter.
    2- Habits can weaken practices.
    3- Thinking that some sins and some virtues are big and some are small.
    4- Environment and copying others without care.
    5- Meeting family needs by improper means.
    6- No constant self check.
    7- Giving precedence to human relation, customs and conducts over fear and love of God
    8- Reformation is difficult unless whole family is reformed.

Reference: Extract from words of Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah

What "Hereafter" is that then? Is it the one with seventy virgins? Do you get chocolate chip ice cream as well?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    What "Hereafter" is that then? Is it the one with seventy virgins? Do you get chocolate chip ice cream as well?
    There are plenty of discussion points to be taken up. Instead of mocking someone's belief, why not raise those?

Blog Entries

What do you mean by reformed?

without context this list is whack

Blog Entries
    I suspect number 8 about having one's whole family in agreement (reformed) may seem more pleasant, but I don't think the members of any family are in complete agreement about everything. The most one can hope for is that each member is tolerant of the differences in the other members and allow them the opportunity to make decisions on their own.

The point that confused me the most was

I would have thought the opposite was true. For example, having the habit of meditating daily should strengthen the practice by making sure one actually does meditate. Although I can see how one might turn a practice into a rote movement, one needs the practice to be habitual enough that one will not forget to do it or feel one can skip doing it today.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I suspect number 8 about having one's whole family in agreement (reformed) may seem more pleasant, but I don't think the members of any family are in complete agreement about everything. The most one can hope for is that each member is tolerant of the differences in the other members and allow them the opportunity to make decisions on their own.

I would have thought the opposite was true. For example, having the habit of meditating daily should strengthen the practice by making sure one actually does meditate. Although I can see how one might turn a practice into a rote movement, one needs the practice to be habitual enough that one will not forget to do it or feel one can skip doing it today.
    Perhaps he means relying on blind habits. Worshipping idols comes to mind.
    Last edited by hypatia_; 01-03-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't thought of worshiping an idol as a "habit" before. I'll have to sleep on it and see if it makes sense in the morning.

Much of what I would do that could be called a spiritual practice involves mantra recitation and meditation. Although I try to remain conscious during the practice by having the repetitive part of the behavior become habitual, I don't have to focus on the mechanics of it.

Also, I was thinking that practices such as Tai Chi (which I only tried once by following a DVD) should become habitual to the point that one doesn't have to think much about the moves. I'm amazed at how difficult Tai Chi was that first time. I really couldn't follow it well. It did seem to make me feel more alert and I will probably try it again. However, if I continued it, I would want the moves to become habitual so I could pay attention better as I did the practice.
    Last edited by YesNo; 01-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.

I hadn't thought of worshiping an idol as a "habit" before. I'll have to sleep on it and see if it makes sense in the morning.

Much of what I would do that could be called a spiritual practice involves mantra recitation and meditation. Although I try to remain conscious during the practice by having the repetitive part of the behavior become habitual, I don't have to focus on the mechanics of it.

Also, I was thinking that practices such as Tai Chi (which I only tried once by following a DVD) should become habitual to the point that one doesn't have to think much about the moves. I'm amazed at how difficult Tai Chi was that first time. I really couldn't follow it well. It did seem to make me feel more alert and I will probably try it again. However, if I continued it, I would want the moves to become habitual so I could pay attention better as I did the practice.
    Yup I get what you're saying. I meditate and do yoga, though I haven't yet tried mantra recitation. Do you recommend any good ones? I suppose that question kind of depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your meditation. I like to try and achieve peace and tranquility, which sort of leads to this intense feeling of concentration.

I think almost any behavior can become a "habit," but I think the key word in the obstacle is "can." Habits can weaken practices, if they are blind habits. Worshipping an idol is one (would a god really want you to sit there for a half hour and stare at a statue supposedly representing him? Or would that god rather you spend your time helping others?). I think what Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah is saying is, don't do a habit without understanding why you're doing it. If you don't understand it, it is weakening your practice.

Blog Entries
    Some habits are unconscious behaviors or repetitive thoughts one probably should break. They would stand in the way of a practice. If that is what he is saying, it makes sense. They are blind, since they are mostly unconscious. Breaking them by developing different (hopefully better habits) should be beneficial to a practice.

As far a mantra recitation, I originally picked this up after reading Eknath Easwaran's books. More recently, I replaced this with just a phrase that i repeat when I find myself taking breaks or being unfocused. I suppose it could be anything. Since it calms me, and there is nothing else to do, I find it beneficial.

I was thinking of trying yoga and did some a few years ago, but a relative of mine is doing tai chi now, or some variation of it. Some of the yoga postures seemed very difficult and I might have pushed myself too much to get in the right position. I could easily do the tadasana, which I think is lying on one's back.
    Last edited by YesNo; 01-03-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YALASH View Post
    Peace be on you.
    Following obstructions hinder sustainable spiritual and moral reformations.
    1- Keeping only short-term matters in view and ignoring accountability in Hereafter.
    3- Thinking that some sins and some virtues are big and some are small.
    4- Environment and copying others without care.
    5- Meeting family needs by improper means.
    6- No constant self check.
    7- Giving precedence to human relation, customs and conducts over fear and love of God

Reference: Extract from words of Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    Hereafter is pass or fail based on life spent in the physical world; pious or unpious; all factors will be taken into account whether one recieved the divine message well or not and what was his or her role... ....Failure shall be treated in hospital called Hell. After treatment [not pleasant] they will be send to to start journey in paradise.

Passed will get closeness, love of God and blessings and paradise, they shall have nothing but pious wishes and these shall be fullfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    There are plenty of discussion points to be taken up. Instead of mocking someone's belief, why not raise those?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    What do you mean by reformed?
    Spiritual and moral reforms, reforms in practice inside a Ahmadiyya Muslim family [as their Khalifah has advised so]......Then others can pick as much they can.

Family reformation means parents [In Ahmadiyya Muslim system, they share the faith but there may be practical weaknesses in anyone of them] should check morals of children. Spouses should not put pressure on each other to ask to get something untrue or which is impossible to acquire. Similarly undue pressure from children put pressure on parents to spend beyond capacity.....These are spiritual moral reforms.

Once one is hooked to some bad habit, it becomes difficult to come out. More effort is needed.

Good wishes to all for new year.
    Last edited by YALASH; 01-06-2014 at 06:40 AM.