Thread: My problem with 1984

My problem with 1984

When winston first started writing it said he would disappear into a crevice so the tele screen couldn't see him. Why didn't the though police cone and check out where he went or something. Furthermore if their society is always under surveillance how was him slipping away to the same hiding spots with Julia not noticed. I just find it hard to believe he lasted as long as he did.

I suspect Winston Smith was put on a list of burgeoning thought criminals as soon as he started hiding from the screen, but there were probably a lot of people on that list. It takes a certain amount of time and effort to interrogate, torture and correct a thought criminal. There are only so many inner party members of O'Brien's ability and they cannot be everywhere at once, not if they want to do a thorough job. Also, Winston was doing good work at the Ministry of Truth. I expect the people at the Ministry of Love just kept him under observation until his behaviour started to get out of hand.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Wakaflockaflame View Post
    When winston first started writing it said he would disappear into a crevice so the tele screen couldn't see him. Why didn't the though police cone and check out where he went or something. Furthermore if their society is always under surveillance how was him slipping away to the same hiding spots with Julia not noticed. I just find it hard to believe he lasted as long as he did.
    You need to remember that it isn't just to catch Winston committing thoughtcrime, the Thought Police needed to know everything there was to know about Winston & Julia before arresting them.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

He was good at appearing "normal", and brainwashed like everyone else. The government probably payed no attention to him because they had no need to worry. They thought they'd had him under control. It was only after he started spending less time at home, and in the trade shop that the Thought Police caught him. They needed proof that he was committing the crime they accused him and Julia of.