George Orwell's 1984 can be very difficult to understand for high school students. There are many instances where you have to read between the lines to comprehend what Orwell is trying to say. I thought 1984 was interesting but it was also very difficult. When I read into the book I found many of Orwell's predictions to be accurate. The key prediction was about government control in the peoples daily lives. They controlled what the could or could not think about. By inflicting fear or pain the government could rule its people however they wanted because they could make them do whatever they wanted. When brought to Room 101, your greatest fear comes to life, whether it's the fear of snakes or lightning, the government found a way to keep order. Irony also played a key role because many people believed they had hope but in reality they were doing whatever the government told them.
Orwell often brought up the sayings, "war is peace, freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength." War is peace can be interpreted to war is a sense of normalcy, freedom is slavery can mean that you can become a slave to the freedom. Ignorance is strength means what you don't know can't hurt you.