Thread: Hardy - read Jude, watched Tess - what next?

Hardy - read Jude, watched Tess - what next?

Having purchased an e-book of the Hardy's novels, I'm wondering which one to read next. I've read Jude, and seen various adaptations of Tess, so I don't feel the need to read that one next. Are there any Hardy fans out there who could suggest which novel to read next?

Thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't quite understand how having seen movie adaptations of a book negates the desire to read the original text.

Anyways, Tess is quite good. You should read it eventually, even if you won't now.

I've only read Jude, Tess and Far from the Madding Crowd, so I recommend Far from the Madding Crowd. Tess is my favourite, but this one is pretty good as well.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Read Tess next. I have a favourite film adaptation as well, but none compare to reading the text. It's beautiful.

After that, I'd move on to The Mayor of Casterbridge. Far From the Madding Crowd was the first Hardy novel I read, though has moved further down my list of favourites. Hardy is my favourite author, and Tess is his best work in my opinion. Not to be passed over, surely.

How did you enjoy Jude?
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

I have watched a DVD of Jude and read Tess and The Woodlanders. I am planning to read Far From the Madding Crowd quite soon, as I don't think it is quite so miserable as some of Hardy's others. There is a film version of Far From the Madding Crowd coming out soon.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

I agree with the recommendations for "Far from the Madding Crowd", but would also recommend "The Woodlanders" and "The Return of the Native". Having read most of his mature novels I find, like Dickens, that he's very consistent. Anyone read "The Well-Beloved"? I might read that next.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have only ever read "Far from the Madding Crowd," which I can heartily recommend. I've seen movie adaptations of "Tess" and "Jude." If you don't want to read "Tess" then certainly try "The Mayor of Castorbridge." It's kind of difficult for me to read books that are so emotionally devastating. I am susceptible to all the sadness; kind of limits me as a reader I know.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by Lykren View Post
    I don't quite understand how having seen movie adaptations of a book negates the desire to read the original text.
    Time is short, and since I already know the major events - and the ending of Tess, I know I will find it hard to stick with the text. I'd rather start with one I don't know, and come back to Tess later. I usually try and watch adaptations after I've read the book, rather than before. If folk say it's Hardy's best novel, then I'll review my options.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. Looks like Far from the Madding Crowd is next.

I found Jude very good.

So you've read the most difficult one to stomach which was his last.

I've read Tess, Jude, Far from the Madding Crowd and The Mayor of Casterbridge. FftMC was one of his first and is still quite Romantic. It contains some miserable bits, but it ends well (I'll say no more) and it's got an overall positive feel, despite its setbacks. The Mayor was a bit later and is more miserable, but oddly I didn't find it very good. Although maybe my expectations were warped by all the to-do about the start of it on the internet and things. I found it started with a bang and then kind of fizzled out. Maybe I wasn't meant to feel that way and I wouldn't have if I hadn't known about it. So, if you do decide to read that one, do not read anything about the beginning of it, just read. It's over in a moment and not worth the excitement
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Far From the Madding Crowd is probably the "easiest" to read, in that it is not quite so heart-wrenching.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?