Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Indian Literature and its growth!

Hard to tell, whatever book I am reading , I am there.

Indian Literature and its growth!

Recently there is an outburst of Indian writers who want to express themselves with their short stories and novels. Some publishers have given them the opportunity, however the inevitable question arises, is Indian Writing in English is of any good. Because I read the recently published novels in the Indian market, and felt they are not up to the standard. This is really sad, but there are exceptions, some writers are brilliant, but their stories are sadly grouped in the literary category, and so they are never read. Only the popular romances and commercial fiction is read. This is a sad state in India. I am just wondering if the growth of the Indian Writing in English will grow or come to an untimely end.
    Whatever happens time only can tell.
    Visit my blog for Inspiration and Literature. http://ronaldhadrian.org

The are a couple Indian or Anglo-Indian writers I have heard of: Salman Rushdie and Vikram Seth. I was going to include Hanif Kureishi and Monica Ali in that list, but they are of Pakistani and Bangledeshi extraction respectively. Vikas Swarup wrote the book Q & A, which was filmed as Slumdog Millionaire. I remember a disk-jockey on a talk radio station saying he thought the book was much better than the film. The only book by an Indian author that I have read was The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie, which I did not like.

Could you explain a bit more? Where are you from yourself? Are these books written in English for an Indian market, or books translated into English for English speaking countries?
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Hard to tell, whatever book I am reading , I am there.
    I am from India, and the books are mostly written in English. There is huge number of readers who love English books, especially fiction. But now it seems they want to create there own work, Indian authors for Indian readers with Indian characters.
    Visit my blog for Inspiration and Literature. http://ronaldhadrian.org