Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post a Picture of Your Library!

Blog Entries

Post a Picture of Your Library!

I'm a sucker for home libraries. Often I can be found trawling the Internet for images of home libraries, and, whenever I'm invited into someone's home, I get stuck in the home library (if there is one), perusing the volumes and observing the setup of the shelves, the organization of the books, and so on. For at least my own entertainment, post a picture of your home library, and perhaps cite your favourite books therein.

(I'm at work at the moment, but I will post a picture of my modest library as soon as I can.)
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

If you do post shots of your library, please take some panoramic shots to get a feel for the whole, as well as close-ups so we can see the books!

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I'm impressed - if I see it right I only have about 30-40% of that size myself, now divided over two continents unfortunately. But damn, that's an impressive amount of literature - oh if only I had the money.

Though I will say when I was younger I didn't understand the point of a personal library - I would just borrow from the big one and bring them home - now I have sort of caught the bug, and it's impossible to control. Especially here when they publish such beautiful collections of works.

Wow!!!
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice library Luke... but I have to ask, why all the teddies? I didn't have you down as a stuffed animal lover..?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Impressive and beautiful. I don't think there's anything that decorates a room as much as books do. How easy or difficult is it to keep them dusted though?
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Here's my "library"

'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm impressed - if I see it right I only have about 30-40% of that size myself, now divided over two continents unfortunately. But damn, that's an impressive amount of literature - oh if only I had the money.

Though I will say when I was younger I didn't understand the point of a personal library - I would just borrow from the big one and bring them home - now I have sort of caught the bug, and it's impossible to control. Especially here when they publish such beautiful collections of works.

Of course you are a couple of decades younger than myself, JBI. My library was accrued over many years. I didn't have much of a library when I was the proverbial "starving" art student. Lots of cheap old used paperbacks. I lucked out in that the small independent book stores were still a reality when I started to earn a real salary, and if you put in the time scouring these you could stumble upon some incredible finds. On the other hand, Amazon.com has allowed me to find nearly any book in print by writers I spent years looking for.

Nice library Luke... but I have to ask, why all the teddies? I didn't have you down as a stuffed animal lover..?

A close friend of mine always "did" Halloween and so my wife and I became the ones who always "did" the Christmas/New Years party among all our friends. We started collecting bears embroidered with the year every year since we were first married.

The wife decks the place out like something out of Macy's... with not only bears but the characters from Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and other stuffed animals and a crown on the tree that includes real roses. My contribution includes making a special Christmas Chili, Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut, and a great selection of beers. We have so many of these stuffed animals that we leave a slew of them up throughout the whole of the year. Actually we tend to leave the tree up until well past Christmas and heading toward Valentine's Day if not St. Patrick's Day. All the colors and lights tends to help with the usual blahs of January and February with the short days, long nights, and crappy weather of an Ohio winter.

How easy or difficult is it to keep them dusted though?

Dusted? What's that?
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

As impressed as I am with your library, I must say I'm just as impressed with that Christmas tree! I love a tree with lot's of random stuff thrown on, tinsel and **** everywhere, seems more fun. I much prefer that to the old classic - boring, symmetrical tinsel in two colours-minimalist approach.

Great library though. I can imagine moving house would be a delicate process.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Sucks that we westerners get ripped off so hard for books. The State publishers here put out fantastic editions of everything good for nothing. Even here where the amount of second hand stores are overwhelming, picking up a 10000 page mass edition of a book is literally 35$. It's just icing on the cake that the quality is superb.

.. in your photo no. 6, there is a bottle of windex with a roll of toilet paper. You use the glass cleaner to clean your shelf/books?!!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post

The wife decks the place out like something out of Macy's... with not only bears but the characters from Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and other stuffed animals and a crown on the tree that includes real roses. My contribution includes making a special Christmas Chili, Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut, and a great selection of beers. We have so many of these stuffed animals that we leave a slew of them up throughout the whole of the year. Actually we tend to leave the tree up until well past Christmas and heading toward Valentine's Day if not St. Patrick's Day. All the colors and lights tends to help with the usual blahs of January and February with the short days, long nights, and crappy weather of an Ohio winter.
    Aww, that's rather sweet... it reminds me of a lecturer I once had who one year was given a teddy bear as a present by a grateful class, and which was given a pride-of-place spot in his office. The problem, though, was that it became a tradition for each year group to get him a teddy as a consequence, and they are now beginning to rather dominate his room...

I'll post a picture of my library once I've had a chance to tidy up a bit - it's looking a little like a bombsite at the moment.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post

I like that the teddy bear is classified next to Umberto Eco. Are the stuffed animals positioned next to the authors they most resemble? Speaking of Eco, he famously has a very large home library:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/ar...rref=arts&_r=0

Blog Entries
    stluke you took the dust covers off the everyman hardcovers!? Why would you do that?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast