Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post a Picture of Your Library!

I love personal libraries. This is roughly 50% of my collection that I have been working on for about a year. Several of my pictures were over 2 megs and I could not get them to load. I scour the used bookstores, Half-Price, Goodwill's and Value Villages for many of my books. The leatherbound are mainly from Half-Price and Ebay. I love my gaudy books no matter what they say.PersonalLibrary 003.jpgPersonalLibrary 004.jpgPersonalLibrary 006.jpgPersonalLibrary 008.jpgPersonalLibrary 010.jpg

Squeeze another pic in. in.PersonalLibrary 001.jpg These are actually about 75% of my library in total. At last count I had around 375 books. My goal is to have a collection of about 500 specific books. I only have so much space and am only willing to accumulate so many books. That said, I might be full of sh*t and have 2000 books 10 years from now, who knows.
    Last edited by Vota; 11-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ... in your photo no. 6, there is a bottle of windex with a roll of toilet paper. You use the glass cleaner to clean your shelf/books?!!

My wife probably just left it there after cleaning the TV screen. Toilet paper left that low down doesn't last long with two rapidly growing puppies in the house.

I like that the teddy bear is classified next to Umberto Eco. Are the stuffed animals positioned next to the authors they most resemble?

He's actually sitting on a stack that includes The Brothers Karamazov, Emanuel Swedenborg's Heaven and Hell, and a two volume set of the works of Hugo von Hofmannsthal... whatever that might add up to?

Great library though. I can imagine moving house would be a delicate process.

Indeed! A process that I have done more times than I care remember.

stluke you took the dust covers off the everyman hardcovers!? Why would you do that?

Honestly, I'm not overly fond of dust-covers... which far too often seem marred by the cheesiest of art work... but in most of the instances here I purchased these volumes san dust-covers at a second hand book store.

The leatherbound are mainly from Half-Price and Ebay

I have a good number of those beautiful leather-bound books by The Franklin Library and other publishers. I tend to avoid the non-English-language texts as they often don't employ the better translations. Nice Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Most of my "library" consists of stacks on the floor or put away in closets and any other space I can find.

Although, here's one of my terribly maintained chaotic bookshelves.

"If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Most of my "library" consists of stacks on the floor or put away in closets and any other space I can find.

Although, here's one of my terribly maintained chaotic bookshelves.

Thank God I'm not the only one with multiple strata of books piled chaotically on every free bit of shelf! I was starting to get a bit paranoid at all the neat bookshelves on display...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I can see dust. Opening up one of those books must give you a coughing fit Pip lol

What translation of Franz Kafka are you using?
    Last edited by Babyguile; 12-01-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Ditto, with the added bonus of being scattered across three provinces.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyguile View Post
    I can see dust. Opening up one of those books must give you a coughing fit Pip lol

What translation of Franz Kafka are you using?
    Breon Mitchell, it has been 9 years since I last read it, so I'm not sure I'd be able to comment on any specific element of the translation. I have another copy of The Trial I read more recently (4-5 years ago) somewhere in my room, not sure where though.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 12-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's true of my library on most occasions... but this thread just happened to catch me after cleaning the room up for Thanksgiving (guests) as well as to avoid the damages done by two crazy young puppies running rampant. I've already had to repair the cover on a favorite volume of tales by Theophile Gautier.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    As promised by your OP, here are some shots of la biblioteque chez moi!

photo 1.jpg
    This is an attempt at a panoramic shot of the library, which is a comfy ex-dining room. The smaller case to the left contains philosophy and history. The big case contains solely classics, literary fiction, and literary theory. There's a stack of art books under the lamp-topped table to the right.

photo 2.jpg
    The larger case (with a single case addendum).

photo 3.jpg
    Some philosophy.

photo 4.jpg
    Some books I became intimate with in grad school.

photo 5.jpg
    Some of my most treasured.
    Last edited by chrisvia; 12-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    stlukes, I noticed you have House of Leaves in your library. Have you yet read it?
    - Rimbaud

enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    - Baudelaire

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ooh, that's a nice and spacious library!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    @Vota: Beautiful volumes!
    - Rimbaud

enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvia View Post
    @Vota: Beautiful volumes!
    You have a very nice library yourself. That reading room is very comfortable and well laid out. My bookshelves are scattered where I can fit them in my room, but someday I'll have a dedicated room or corner for the best part of the house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post

Awesome collections...especially the tumblr url of Kamasutra erotic book art is outstanding! Thnx for sharing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast