Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasses?

Glasses?

Who wears glasses?

I lost mine on Friday. I was four hours from home so I had to wear my awful prescription safety glasses home. Which look like these:

b-52.jpg

I've been wearing my old glasses since I got home and everything seems "off". I was shopping for dining room chairs today and I saw one from an angle and I thought it was so cool because it was asymmetrical. I took a closer look and the chair wasn't asymmetrical, it just happened to be the angle and my glasses. hahahaahahahhaha
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    I do! Though I go through phases where I either wear glasses all the time, or contacts all the time.

I can't really see past about 6 inches away from my face, so if I was ever glasses-less, I wouldn't be going anywhere haha.

Yesterday was almost one of those days. I was wearing contacts at work, when a needle shot off its syringe and exploded Euthanyl all over the place, but mostly in my eyes. Euthanyl is the drug we use to euthanize pets... My boss wanted me to take my contacts out so I could flush my eyes properly, but I didn't have a case or solution or glasses. So I left them in so I could drive home. Boss lady was not impressed. Safety glasses would have been good in that situation, Papaya hahaha
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

I do too!

My eyesight started to deteriorate when I was about 21 and I worked at a computer all the time.

Since our translation career took off two years ago, it's deteriorated more. I urgently have to go to the eye doctor, but I always postpone... I just need advice about how to keep it manageable (I don't want to end up with jam jars, you see), although I gather it's just a case of waiting for stabilisation. I can't see sharp past 1 inch (although it depends on the light).

I can imagine your boss wasn't impressed, Charm, but would she have driven you home herself, in that case?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

I wear glasses only for reading so I guess I shouldn't complain, but I've been wearing them for the past four years and I'm still not used to it. When I'm reading a book I hardly notice that they are on my nose, but today for instance my son rang up from work needing a phone number urgently, and by the time I found the number, then found my glasses (I have two pairs, but still had to search) etc, I was really wishing I had my 20/20 vision again.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do as well!

Horrible things, but without them I bump into walls...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Haha, try playing billiards with them.

I didn't realise until a few months after I had them that when playing billiards, you use the upper most section of your eyes and that's looking over your glasses for all intents and purposes. Hence why the funny-looking Dennis Taylor had those glasses that made him look like he was permanently astonished. If we go and play pool, I use a piece of blue plasticine to prop my glasses up now, which makes me look less ridiculous than the piece of tissue I used to use, but nonetheless makes people ask why I'm doing that. Because I can't see the contours of the ball on the other end of the table! What do you think!?
    Last edited by kiki1982; 11-25-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    I do! Though I go through phases where I either wear glasses all the time, or contacts all the time.

I can't really see past about 6 inches away from my face, so if I was ever glasses-less, I wouldn't be going anywhere haha.

Yesterday was almost one of those days. I was wearing contacts at work, when a needle shot off its syringe and exploded Euthanyl all over the place, but mostly in my eyes. Euthanyl is the drug we use to euthanize pets... My boss wanted me to take my contacts out so I could flush my eyes properly, but I didn't have a case or solution or glasses. So I left them in so I could drive home. Boss lady was not impressed. Safety glasses would have been good in that situation, Papaya hahaha
    ooh my. Contacts aren't allowed at my work. It was always believed that contacts could trap chemicals against your eye and cause more damage but studies show that that might not be the case however nobody is ready to relax the rule yet.

I have to wait until Monday to get my new glasses, until then I guess I'll continue to see things a little off.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Maybe not trap as such, but glasses (certainly modern ones with plastic lenses) form an extra barrier against accidents. I personally enjoy walking in the wind and rain a lot more since I've had them. You don't get everything in your eyes like other people. Particularly cycling in the rain is a lot easier .

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Maybe not trap as such, but glasses (certainly modern ones with plastic lenses) form an extra barrier against accidents. I personally enjoy walking in the wind and rain a lot more since I've had them. You don't get everything in your eyes like other people. Particularly cycling in the rain is a lot easier .
    I HATE glasses in the rain and wind because they got water drops and dust and whatnot on them. Then you need windshield wipers. Ugh.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    I HATE glasses in the rain and wind because they got water drops and dust and whatnot on them. Then you need windshield wipers. Ugh.
    Agreed. There's nothing more irritating than dirty glasses, and getting them clean without having smear marks is incredibly frustrating.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Another glasses-wearer here My eyesights not actually dreadful without them, but it would make things inconvenient if I were to lose them.

I agree with Loka and CC, glasses + rain = dreadful! D:

Blog Entries
    I'm legally required to wear glasses when I drive, but that is the only time I bother wearing them. And since I don't have to drive very often, they aren't a problem. Watching movies seem just as entertaining with or without glasses.

Rain on my glasses in a pain, but it's still better than rain in my eyes. What I hate is when I walk into a warm place from a cold outside and have to wait for the glasses to defog. They're still less hassle than contacts, though.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I started wearing glasses when I was almost 18 and now I’ve become used to them. My near vision is still perfect though. I am very always choosy while buying new ones; I never liked thick plastic frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Agreed. There's nothing more irritating than dirty glasses, and getting them clean without having smear marks is incredibly frustrating.
    Haha I went on a walk yesterday and the snow kept sticking on my glasses. Which was fine until I turned around and the wind blew my breath back into my face melting the snow, then freezing. TL;DR Super Cool Foggy Ice Glasses
    *runs into wall*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast