Thread: The Complete Works: where to start?

The Complete Works: where to start?

Hello fellow Lit-netters,

this morning I received the Complete Works of William Shakespeare (1990 edition) from somebody who has studied English and who knew that I am studying English now too. I am intrigued by it and because I am pretty new to Literature, I definitely want to read it. The only problem I have is, I'm not sure where to start reading. Are there specific works that you would advise me to read first? Some varied works by him that you think are good to start off with? Or do you think that I should just read the index to try and see what seems interesting to me, and just start wherever?

All that I have read from him are three of his sonnets (17, 18 and something over 100, forgot which one exactly) and his play of Julius Caesar, so that is not much yet. If you have any advice for me on what I definitely should read (aside from the other plays, which are the more obvious things that I am already planning to read!) or how to go about the book, please let me know!

EvoWarrior5
    Last edited by EvoWarrior5; 11-23-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Blog Entries
    I've enjoyed Midsummer Night's Dream. However, I would watch it first rather than read it. If you find something you would like to look at more closely, then the book comes in handy. There should be a few versions in your local library. I've seen this play many times.

Titus Andronicus would be one with a lot of violence in it. I saw the version that Anthony Hopkins was in. I don't want to see it again, but it stays in my memory.

I was grossed out with the antisemitism in Merchant of Venice.

I don't know Shakespeare well, but those are the ones that come to mind.

What an interesting question, not one I feel I can give a definitive answer to, but here's some general advice.

I'd say Romeo & Juliet may be the best place to start if you are totally unfamiliar with Shakespeare. I started a group of students new to studying literature with this one, because everyone is familiar with the story - which means you can focus on how Shakespeare uses language and portrays the characters without getting overwhelmed by the events as well. I found reading Shakespeare, and Milton, much like learning a new accent. I had to get used to it, but once I "got" it, reading it became very easy.

The history plays - Richard II, Henry IV 1 + 2 & Henry V are best read in that order. The consequences of the events in Richard II occur in the three Henries - so it is well worth reading this them in that order. In addition The Merry Wives of Winsor won't make sense until you know about Falstaff who appears in Henry IV 1 & 2.

However, saying that King John is a lovely self contained play which is a good place to start with the Shakespeare's History plays. For the comedies - start with Midsummer's Night's Dream. I'd leave Coriolanus somewhere to the end. Not because it's terrible, but because it is rather complex and coming at it when you are more familiar with what Shakespeare is doing would help.

There are some cracking DVDs worth checking out as well which help. Brannagh's Much Ado is good, Feinnes' Coriolanus is excellent as is McKellan's Richard III. Lurman's Romeo + Juliet is very clever in its interpretation. I enjoy it, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.

When studying for my degree, The Rape of Lucrece, is often referring to by other poets, so it is well worth reading that one if you are intending to study literature, and it is an excellent poem.

It's worth remembering that Shakespeare was intended to be performed, so it might help to introduce yourself to a play by watching it first. That gives you the benefit of the actors' research into their characters and dialogue. In the 1970s and '80s, the BBC created television adaptations of all 37 plays, all of which I believe are available on DVD. These are unabridged performances also, with most running in the 2 1/2 - 3 hour range and several going longer.

As for where to start, it may be easier if you begin with some of the more familiar ones just to get you acclimated. The above suggestions of Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer Night's Dream are good ones.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Macbeth is also a pretty good place to start - shortest play, has no subplots, easy to follow etc.

Thank you very much for your suggestions! This is definitely a very good basis for the plays and comedies. Is there anybody who has a few more suggestions on good starting poems of his?
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Yes just stick with the sonnets. Dip into them or read the first 16 procreation sonnets followed by some of the others as and when. It is not like you have to read them all together in one go. I'd read a play and some of the sonnets and forget about the other poems for now. If you quickly read up on the sonnet form and Shakespeare sonnets on wiki or similar it will probably help your understanding a little.

Oh read sonnet 19. I like that one...
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 11-23-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Somewhere in the MidWestern United States.
    You could start with Julius Caesar, since you have read it once before. That would give you a good way to dip your toes into Shakespeare again. After that, Richard II, Henry IV parts I and II, and Henry V. Henry VI pts I, II, and III logically follow. Richard III follows. That all gives you the two tetralogies of Shakespeare.
    Last edited by Yaakov001; 05-12-2018 at 10:01 PM.