Thread: Boris Akunin

Boris Akunin

Hello: Are there any fans of this modern day spy novel writer here? I have enjoyed many of his works but would especially recommend "The Diamond Chariot". Set in the 1890's with just a little technology and some Eastern philosophy and a love story angle. Well worth your time.
    Duke Masters

I have enjoyed all the Erast Fandorin titles that have been translated into English, though I haven't read The Diamond Chariot that you recommend. I have however ordered it - I have often wondered how Fandorin and Masa got together and this book apparently fills in the missing part of the story line. I'm glad to see someone else enjoys Bakunin's work.

How much do you think there is an anti-regime theme to some of the early works, hidden under the 'historical' setting, given that they were written in the Soviet era?

Fandorin with out a doubt mistrusts his superiors even though he is in general respectful, at least on the surface. The meme of the "underling" smarter then the boss, solving problems in the face of incompetent leadership is part of the Fandorin tales, how much it is anti-Soviet or just general anti-authority I don't know in detail. To me some works (not all) are more enjoyable without deep analysis, though some readers enjoy going "deep" on every work. I like a mix of "heavies" and lighter stuff.
    KDM

I certainly wouldn't disagree about the value of 'light' reading. I just wondered, given the author's nom de plume of B. Akunin, Bakunin having been one of Marx' critics and rivals. There was something in the first story that made me wonder about the author's attitude at the time, but I can't remember the specific incident in the book. I understand there is a definition of an 'akunin' as 'one who makes his own rules' in this latest book? That would make sense as Bakunin upheld theories of social change by anarchy.