Thread: So I Left

So I Left

It started off innocently enough. He was tall and handsome, better looking than average and with bigger muscles than average. What girl wouldn't like that. We met outside the engineering building on my first day of college. It was early and there were very few people around. I admit I was attracted to him. I liked him and I thought he liked me, so I stayed.

He was everything I thought I wanted. An engineering student like me, a couple of years ahead in age, with what seemed like a lot more intelligence than I did. I looked up to him. He helped me with my homework. We held hands. I cared about him and I thought he cared about me, so I stayed.

Things advanced pretty naturally from there. As the years went by, we became inseparable. He finished his qualification and started working. I was in my final year. He had struggled to find work in this economic climate and had finally settled on a job that wasn't ideal in his mind, but was something. The money was also a strain on our relationship. We moved in together to make things easier, but they only became more difficult. I loved him and he said he loved me, so I stayed.

I realised that there were things about him that I didn't know. He wasn't happy with his job, and often would come home angry. But I loved him and I was committed to us, so I stayed.

He started to get jealous of my fellow classmates, the men that I was around. He thought that I was cheating on him. He became a lot more controlling, I remember one day I got home from class a few minutes late and he hit me across the face. But I loved him and was a poor student, so I stayed.

After I graduated, I was very lucky to get a great job as a professional engineer. He was absolutely furious that I had a better job than he did. He broke a plate on my head that evening. But I loved him and there was a child in my belly, so I stayed.

One morning, he threatened me with a knife before work because I burnt the toast. I have never been so terrified. I remember stumbling out to the car, fearing for our lives. I loved me and there was a child in my belly, so I left.

That day, for the first time, I didn't drive to work. I drove to the airport instead. That drive was absolutely terrifying. I was so afraid he would find me, so afraid he would know and come and bring me back. Where should I go? All I could think of was to get as far away from him as possible. The furthest place where I have family is Singapore. I will go to my brother. I loved me and I needed support from family, so I left.

After I took off, watching that little plane fly further and further away from him, slowly lifted the burden I’d had weighing on my shoulders for the past 3 years. I had nothing but the clothes on my back and my handbag, but I had my freedom and my dignity once again. I loved me and I wanted the best for us, so I left.
    Last edited by StaceyAnnabella; 11-04-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is clichéd in places. Tall and handsome, everything I thought I wanted. It's also a shame that you leave him twice as it kills any impact.

To be honest this has a better story to it if you write it differently. This is all tell and no show. Stories like this can be much more powerful when the reader can relate to the character and what she is actually experiencing. This involves setting, events and dialogue. So consider expanding this into a real 'get your teeth into it' story. Perhaps write it not from the first person but from third person so the characters become flesh and blood people to the reader with names who they can engage with and feel a whole tumult of emotions as they go through what the main character is going through. It will be more intense IMHO.

Good luck
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyAnnabella View Post
    It started off innocently enough. He was tall and handsome, better looking than average and with bigger muscles than average. What girl wouldn't like that. We met outside the engineering building on my first day of college. It was early and there were very few people around. I admit I was attracted to him. I liked him and I thought he liked me, so I stayed.

He was everything I thought I wanted. An engineering student like me, a couple of years ahead in age, with what seemed like a lot more intelligence than I did. I looked up to him. He helped me with my homework. We held hands. I cared about him and I thought he cared about me, so I stayed.

Things advanced pretty naturally from there. As the years went by, we became inseparable. He finished his qualification and started working. I was in my final year. He had struggled to find work in this economic climate and had finally settled on a job that wasn't ideal in his mind, but was something. The money was also a strain on our relationship. We moved in together to make things easier, but they only became more difficult. I loved him and he said he loved me, so I stayed.

I realised that there were things about him that I didn't know. He wasn't happy with his job, and often would come home angry. But I loved him and I was committed to us, so I stayed.

He started to get jealous of my fellow classmates, the men that I was around. He thought that I was cheating on him. He became a lot more controlling, I remember one day I got home from class a few minutes late and he hit me across the face. But I loved him and was a poor student, so I stayed.

After I graduated, I was very lucky to get a great job as a professional engineer. He was absolutely furious that I had a better job than he did. He broke a plate on my head that evening. But I loved him and there was a child in my belly, so I stayed.

One morning, he threatened me with a knife before work because I burnt the toast. I have never been so terrified. I remember stumbling out to the car, fearing for our lives. I loved me and there was a child in my belly, so I left.

That day, for the first time, I didn't drive to work. I drove to the airport instead. That drive was absolutely terrifying. I was so afraid he would find me, so afraid he would know and come and bring me back. Where should I go? All I could think of was to get as far away from him as possible. The furthest place where I have family is Singapore. I will go to my brother. I loved me and I needed support from family, so I left.

After I took off, watching that little plane fly further and further away from him, slowly lifted the burden I’d had weighing on my shoulders for the past 3 years. I had nothing but the clothes on my back and my handbag, but I had my freedom and my dignity once again. I loved me and I wanted the best for us, so I left.
    This is one of the best pieces I read lately. Way to go, Stacey. God be with you like in this case for your whole life. The best for all, including him. No traps. Beautiful.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    This reads less like fiction and more like a diary entry, a personal journal entry, or even a deposition. Think of the contemporary stories you've read: they'll seldom go from point A to point B in a straight line, as this one does "This happened, and then that happened." Not only should the narrator's voice be stronger, it's crucial to bring your characters to life. Delta has given you valuable advice about showing, not telling.

Keep reading lots of stories. Keep trying and post again. Good luck, and welcome to the LitNet.

Auntie
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 11-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    This reads less like fiction and more like a diary entry, a personal journal entry, or even a deposition. Think of the contemporary stories you've read: they'll seldom go from point A to point B in a straight line, as this one does "This happened, and then that happened." Not only should the narrator's voice be stronger, it's crucial to bring your characters to live. Delta has given you valuable advice about showing, not telling.

Keep reading lots of stories. Keep trying and post again. Good luck, and welcome to the LitNet.

Auntie
    Auntie. Sometimes you act as insane as the whole team of freaks. Apart from the fact that this is a story like any other, Stacey never claimed anything at all about that. You are obviously so insensitive sometimes. ROFLMAO

I agree with Delta and Aunt : )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    I agree with Delta and Aunt : )
    I agree with most everyone else. It's laid out like a series of events, one after the other, all seemingly having the same weight. This happened and that happened, and considering the events, none of it is too dramatic. So we have violent dramatic events portrayed rather like a laundry list.

I think I got the idea, but it's the execution of the idea that need revisions. We need to be drawn into this situation. It should move us, the vocabulary needs to be more evocative, and watch out for the repetition of phrases, with repetition a little goes a long way.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Auntie. Sometimes you act as insane as the whole team of freaks. Apart from the fact that this is a story like any other, Stacey never claimed anything at all about that. You are obviously so insensitive sometimes. ROFLMAO

Auntie

Yeah, a remark like that is really insensitive. I'll watch myself in the future.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, a remark like that is really insensitive. I'll watch myself in the future.
    I'm still recovering!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb