Thread: characteristics of Victorianism in "The picture of Dorian Gray"

Question characteristics of Victorianism in "The picture of Dorian Gray"

What would you say are the most distinct characteristics why this book can be places in the time of Victorianism? Any distinct features of Victorianism style?

Blog Entries
    What do you think? Does the setting/character/tones match up to what you know to be characteristics of other Victorian literature?

(in short, no one will do your work for you, but if you have any specific thoughts that you wish to toss around and receive feedback, please do).
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

umm, ok... thanks for your honesty I think that during the time of vicorianism people were starting to become 'less prude' and things evolving around sexuality became less taboo or strict which goes in line with the novel. also the division into gender roles lessened a bit, and we can't deny Wilde's homosexuality either when discussing The picture of DG, as there are almost exclusively male characters who are of importance. Moreover, the novel has been said to be one of decadence, which was often compared to Huymann's 'A rebours', concerning all the luxury and life in abundance... to be honest with you i have only read secondary literature so far, and not the book itself (i'm only at the beginning), so while reading it i would already like to know some of the above asked questions. but i understand what you're saying. thanks though

Hi, Charles, good to see you back.

Annabelle, maybe this Wikipedia article will provide a useful starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_literature
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I would argue that, during the Victorian era, societal focus was on more prudishness. This was the kind of thing that Wilde was commenting on. Those strict views began to break down only after the turn the of the twentieth century. Also, think about Wilde's role as an aesthete. That says a bit about the society that Dorian mingles in and his character too.