Thread: Hello from France

Hello from France

I teach English language and literature in an International Section in France. My students are mostly bilingual and bilcultural. I want to do Shakespeare with my 9th graders, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheneoak View Post
    I teach English language and literature in an International Section in France. My students are mostly bilingual and bilcultural. I want to do Shakespeare with my 9th graders, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Hello/ Salut

Welcome

Greetings from Poland,

Hannah

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!
    We did "Hamlet" at school (not in France, mind you, but in Austria), and that was followed up by Tom Stoppard's "Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern" are dead. I enjoyed both, and you could even try to show your pupils the 1990-movie of the latter, why not? Just an idea…
    I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us here at LitNet! :-))
    "Im Arm der Liebe schliefen wir selig ein…" ("Liebesode" - Otto Erich Hartleben)
    New poetry collection available (Kindle and paperback)

User Name is backwards :( Eman Resu's Avatar
    The "easy" factor has been discussed here in the past:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...akespeare-play

though not from the vantage point of English As A Second Language students. I'd actually suggest The Comedy of Errors for several reasons - it's very short, and being one of Shakespeare's earlier plays, the language isn't as "broad" as in the later plays; the comedy is very "in your face" and might make studying the play more enjoyable for students of this age group, and there are layers to the comedic structure (e.g. those familiar with Gaius Julius Solinus' Polyhistor will see the Duke of Ephesus in a more amusing light; students with a background in classical mythos who are familiar with Hercules and Pholus will enjoy the two Antipholuses [Antipholi? Antipholorum? Never mind, then...], and so forth...), which will allow more advanced students to grasp some elements which others might pass us, boiling down to a better experience over a span of readers.

Caveat: l'anglaise n'étant pas ma langue maternelle, par conséquent je ne sais pas.