Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What languages do you speak/read?

What languages do you speak/read?

I've heard that the majority of the people here are not native English speakers, but obviously everyone here has some level of english literacy. This in turn suggests that a large percentage of the posters her are at least bi, if not poly, lingual. My curiosity is peaked and I wonder, what languages do we speak or, perhaps more appropriately, read and at what level?

For myself:
    English: Native/Fluent
    French: Basic
    German, Russian, and Spanish: Trivial

Blog Entries
    Polish- native

English- around C1
    Spanish B2-C1
    German- B1
    French A2

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I speak English fluently, and can be conversational in French, Spanish and Icelandic. I can also read Old Norse, Old English and Latin at a relatively advanced level.

As for reading, well, if you know at least one romance and one germanic language, you can pretty much read anything from Europe except stuff written in Finnish or Hungarian. I've read books in language I do not speak and have never studied, and managed to get the gist of what is being said - for me, usually books in Danish, Norwegian and German.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Icelandic is my native tongue, I also speak English, I understand Danish and Swedish and can read them well. German a bit too but I just don't have the nerve to try and speak anything except Icelandic and English
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

User Name is backwards :( Eman Resu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I can also read Old Norse, Old English....

I'm jealous; runic representation gives me fits even in A.S. fuţorc; I'd love to have the wherewithal to derive modern Germanic antecedents from their origin.

As a child: French (first), Italian and German; later Dutch, plus the classical languages: Latin, Greek, Hebrew and sufficient Sumerian to read cuneiform as long as it's not Akkadian phoneosymbolic stuff. About 18 months into a study of Middle Aramaic Syriac, which is approximately the equivalent of simultaneously hitting yourself with an hammer while stepping on Lego bricks.

I have a smattering of English as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I speak English fluently, and can be conversational in French, Spanish and Icelandic. I can also read Old Norse, Old English and Latin at a relatively advanced level.

As for reading, well, if you know at least one romance and one germanic language, you can pretty much read anything from Europe except stuff written in Finnish or Hungarian. I've read books in language I do not speak and have never studied, and managed to get the gist of what is being said - for me, usually books in Danish, Norwegian and German.
    Iam jealous, Loki I wish I were similar skills to you. Maybe on eday you`d try Polish?

Being an American, I haven't had much opportunity to learn a foreign language. We're not very good at speaking more than one language in this country lol.

I'm fluent in English (duh), can read/write in Korean, speak/read some Japanese, and that's about it. I would very much like to learn multiple languages. I find Korean and Japanese extremely beautiful, Russian is awesome (and I love Russian authors), and I would like to learn Greek in order to get a better understanding of the Gospels. I feel so pathetic because I only know one language...
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

I used to study French and German quite hard at night school and at home. I got to quite a high standard, but nowhere near fluent. I was always rather frustrated by my inability to understand French and German films or radio stations very well. Later I studied Italian as an evening class, but I did not reach as high a standard before losing interest. I have worked through cassette courses in Spanish, Dutch and Serbo-Croat, but I can remember virtually nothing of them. Even more annoyingly, I can remember very little Latin, despite studying it at school for three years. Well, I say studying, I spent most of my time looking at the clock, wishing it was over. Maybe I will study it again one day. I like it when an author slips in a bit of French or German and I understand it without looking at the footnote: it makes me feel educated. I don't like it when I come across a phrase in Latin and I don't understand it: it makes me feel ignorant.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Dutch/Flemish native
    English C2+ (my hubby says, I hope so, because most of my translation work comes into English)
    German B1 (understanding C1/2, because of my native language)
    French A2-B1 (reading a little bit better, but my English suffers too much if I read French, so I've ceased to read in it pretty much) after 8 years' school
    Spanish A1 (reading B1, with a dictionary B2. I translated a leasing contract once. It must have been good, because they asked us back. Quite amazing, since I learnt it from SOS mi Vida )
    Russian A1 (after two years' self-study)
    I have notions of Italian and Czech now (I won't perish of hunger or thirst if I lose my hubby over there ). That's about it.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide ŕ ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scčne VII)

User Name is backwards :( Eman Resu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    I have notions of Italian and Czech now (I won't perish of hunger or thirst if I lose my hubby over there ;)). That's about it.

In Prague, even without any Czech you can't go hungry. All you need are, "prosím" and "díky," and to find the nearest kavárna with a dessert counter. Drool, point to something with chocolate and raspberries, and say, "prosím."

;)

Blog Entries
    I speak English and French fluently, I can struggle through Old English (language requirement in graduate school), and I speak very basic German as a result of an attempt to learn it to impress an ex who was studying German literature.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Eman Resu View Post
    In Prague, even without any Czech you can't go hungry. All you need are, "prosím" and "díky," and to find the nearest kavárna with a dessert counter. Drool, point to something with chocolate and raspberries, and say, "prosím."
    Ah, yes, but they're ever so pleased when you seem at least to understand them in crude terms. I'm already at the stage where I can go 'jedno pro mie, prosim' and know what I'm getting, and I can order a coffee in the accusative case. Trying to say 'tri' and 'stiry' with that r + hacek probably makes them laugh because it's not quite right, but they seem amused at any foreigner trying at all.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide ŕ ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scčne VII)

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman Resu View Post
    I'm jealous; runic representation gives me fits even in A.S. fuţorc; I'd love to have the wherewithal to derive modern Germanic antecedents from their origin.
    Runic script is a whole different kettle of fish, though I'm okay with runes. I can translate them, but it's a slow and painful process involving the checking of much secondary material. But yes, the Germanic language are fun - thanks to Old Norse and Old English, I'm actually better with Old High German than I am with modern German.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah_arendt
    Iam jealous, Loki I wish I were similar skills to you. Maybe on eday you`d try Polish?
    I'm not a natural linguist, I just get lots of opportunity to practice, which is the main thing. I had forgotten huge amounts of French until last year, when I had a Parisian housemate to practice with. I would love to learn some Polish (I've even had the pleasure of chatting with a number of Polish Old Norse academics at various conferences, and I'm interested in their work) - though I'm afraid the likes of German and Danish are, of necessity, higher on my list!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I know only to language to speak and read.That is Engligh and Kannda . But i like to learn other languages.

Arabic= native language
    Speak: French, English
    Read and discuss in Arabic and English
    Only happiness can overcome problems!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast