Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 194

Thread: God Speaking...anyone listening?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    8

    God Speaking...anyone listening?

    Atum sent out his all-seeing eye when Shu and Tefnut were lost and wept tears of joy when they were found. However I banished Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden and didn't shed tears when they were lost to me. Am I fair and just?
    -God
    Last edited by mkotova; 10-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Orwellian The Atheist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The George Orwell sub-forum
    Posts
    4,638
    As if a sentient being would even ask such a question.

    Were you fair & just as the Jews were marched into the gas chambers? As the Syrian children slept in their beds? As polio swept the world, crippling hundreds of thousands of children? As the children in the refugee camps die from a simple dose of diarrhoea because there is no clean water? As Jon-Benet Ramsey and Madeleine McCann drew their last gasping breath?
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

    Anon

  3. #3
    Registered User Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    578
    God does not look at death as a bad thing...quite the contrary. He looks at it as his children coming home to where there is no more suffering, to where it is peaceful and glorious. When good people suffer, it's not from God but He sometimes allows it to happen...there are more than 100 reasons listed in the Bible (and there are probably infinitely more). Our finite minds cannot fathom Gods perfect plan but someday we will.
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-25-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #4
    Orwellian The Atheist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The George Orwell sub-forum
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    God does not look at death as a bad thing...quite the contrary. He looks at it as his children coming home to where there is no more suffering, to where it is peaceful and glorious. When good people suffer, it's not from God but He sometimes allows it to happen...there are more than 100 reasons listed in the Bible (and there are probably infinitely more). Our finite minds cannot fathom Gods perfect plan but someday we will.
    I live in hope that one day you'll realise what a cop-out that is.

    A perfect plan that allows for torture of children, slavery, gang-rape and murder is cunning indeed.

    You say: When good people suffer, it's not from God

    Who created those people?
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

    Anon

  5. #5
    Registered User Delta40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fremantle Western Australia
    Posts
    9,897
    Blog Entries
    62
    So when bad people suffer it is from god? Gee well I'm converted!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

  6. #6
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,502
    Quote Originally Posted by mkotova View Post
    Am I fair and just?
    -God
    god speaking? god would not speak he would be down here if he did.
    is he fair? I could not tell you. I never met him/here.
    is he just? not possible to answer.
    am I just? I can answer that but that is all I can offer.

    now I think it is fair to ask this:
    is man fair and just? and you will find the answer is NO.
    I think man needs to man up and think of his or her actions and stop taking advantage of the fact that god may or may not be. responsible is to face the charges and start tidying them up.
    Last edited by cacian; 09-26-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  7. #7
    Registered User Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    You say: When good people suffer, it's not from God
    Who created those people?
    God did not want to create robots. He wanted to create man with an ability to make choices. Much of our suffering comes from natural consequences because of our wrong choices. Before Christ came in the New Testament (to pay the punishment for our sins), man was punished for wrong choices and disobedience to God. But now it's not punishment. Sometimes it's natural consequences and sometimes it's a myriad of other reasons as mentioned in the Bible. Have you ever heard someone say of their loved one, "He didn't die in vain."? It's because, looking back, we sometimes see why it was part of God's perfect plan. Sometimes we won't know until we have passed on ourselves...then we'll know everything according to God's Word.

    Cacian is right. Man needs to own up to his own poor choices and quit blaming God for them or expecting God to bail him out every time.
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-26-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    God did not want to create robots. He wanted to create man with an ability to make choices. Much of our suffering comes from natural consequences because of our wrong choices.
    I agree. I can't imagine why any God of any value would want to create us as robots. I also liked the way cacian put it: "man needs to man up".

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    God does not look at death as a bad thing...quite the contrary. He looks at it as his children coming home to where there is no more suffering...
    I actually don't think this is a cop out; if you spend your whole life on Earth suffering, and you get an infinite number of years in heaven to compensate for that, then that's fair enough. I think he might have been a bit kinder to us as regards our earthly existence, but "under the aspect of eternity" it's really no suffering at all, so I'll let him off in this regard.

    The reason I don't believe in God is not because of the existence of suffering, but because there is absolutely no evidence for his existence! I don't believe in God for the same reason I don't believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.

    God speaking... then why can't I hear him?
    Last edited by mal4mac; 09-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.

  10. #10
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,502
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I actually don't think this is a cop out; if you spend your whole life on Earth suffering, and you get an infinite number of years in heaven to compensate for that, then that's fair enough. I think he might have been a bit kinder to us as regards our earthly existence, but "under the aspect of eternity" it's really no suffering at all, so I'll let him off in this regard.

    The reason I don't believe in God is not because of the existence of suffering, but because there is absolutely no evidence for his existence! I don't believe in God for the same reason I don't believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.
    indeed in the same way that there is no evidence that he does not. Santa Claus and tooth fairy those are slightly on the childish touch. an adult of course would not believe that. in the same way that a fairy tale is only a fairy tale.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mkotova View Post
    Am I fair and just?
    -God
    mkotova playing God. Ridiculous. ROFLMAO

  12. #12
    Registered User Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    The reason I don't believe in God is...because there is absolutely no evidence for his existence! I don't believe in God for the same reason I don't believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. God speaking... then why can't I hear him?
    There is evidence that Santa and the tooth fairy don't exist. What is your evidence that God doesn't exist? We can explain why there's money under the pillow and we can explain why there are presents under the tree, but, what's your explanation for where love came from? Whatever your scientific answer is to that, you haven't gone back far enough....as far back as nothingness...the unfathomable to our finite minds...and that would be infinity, eternity, God. Read "Evidence That Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell....2 huge volumes of evidence for God's existence. I never read it because I see enough evidence every day. I don't need any more.

    When you say "why can't I hear God speaking"...you're not listening. Turn off the lights away from all distractions like in a small room or even a closet if need be...total silence and total darkness. Begin a conversation. Ask questions. Then stop, wait, listen. You will probably get an immediate answer. You'll soon know if that answer was from God or just your subconscious mind, by it's clarity and it's knowing what is best according to his will.
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-26-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

  13. #13
    Registered User tailor STATELY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gold Country
    Posts
    12,916
    Our Heavenly Father is fair and just. That is why He instituted His Plan of Salvation, His eternal plan of happiness.

    For some of the issues brought forth earlier in this thread The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ has been very instructive in this matter for me starting with all of 2 Nephi Chapter 2 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2...11?lang=eng#10 ; and especially
    2 Nephi 2:11 - For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so... righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
    Later in The Book Of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ:
    Alma 60:13 - For the Lord suffereth the righteous to be slain that his justice and judgment may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold, they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God.
    Eternal life with our Heavenly Father is our highest goal after all.

    1 Corinthians chapter 2 helps me to understand those who cannot understand the things of God http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/1-cor/2.9?lang=eng

    Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 09-26-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: addendum/spelling
    tailor

    who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

    7-8-2015

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    918
    Blog Entries
    2
    Sure, there must've been something that started it all. But why would it be 'God', why not any other random religion or whatnot. No evidence to support that God isn't real, but then there's also no evidence to show we're not really in the Matrix D:

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    indeed in the same way that there is no evidence that he does not. Santa Claus and tooth fairy those are slightly on the childish touch. an adult of course would not believe that. in the same way that a fairy tale is only a fairy tale.
    OK let's ditch the tooth fairy and Santa Claus, what about Zeus and Thor? They were believed in by adults, why not believe in them instead of JC and the holy ghost?

    Believing in God seems childish to me. Isn't believing in something nice, for which there is no evidence, a childish trait? For example, some children have an imaginary friend, who they believe in because it's nice to have a friend. Adults find this amusing and give children room to have this imaginary friend, knowing (hoping!) they will grow out of it.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Classical Listening
    By stlukesguild in forum General Movies, Music, and Television
    Replies: 1548
    Last Post: 08-05-2019, 05:46 AM
  2. Christmas Listening?
    By stlukesguild in forum General Movies, Music, and Television
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM
  3. Listening While Reading
    By subterranean in forum General Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
  4. National Day of Listening
    By motherhubbard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 02:29 PM
  5. Not listening
    By soccerchick21 in forum 1984
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •