Thread: Writing Competitions

Writing Competitions

Well, this isn't actually on-topic; in fact, I think that I'm on the wrong website for this kind of thing. But anyway, I'm looking for some writing competitions to enter. Preferably not novel-writing competitions, and nothing that's incredibly well-known. Just simple, 500-10,000 word competitions. Thanks in advance!

And one other thing: it will be even better if they are free-to-enter competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by MclarenP1 View Post
    Well, this isn't actually on-topic; in fact, I think that I'm on the wrong website for this kind of thing. But anyway, I'm looking for some writing competitions to enter. Preferably not novel-writing competitions, and nothing that's incredibly well-known. Just simple, 500-10,000 word competitions. Thanks in advance!
    When you have 100 posts, you will should be eligible to enter the Forum's short story competition:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...petition-Rules
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    There are many "competitions", and a gret many of those are scams. If you want to see your stories in print and get money for them, then submit to magazines. There may be as many magazines as contests, and most of them pay something.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    There are many "competitions", and a gret many of those are scams. If you want to see your stories in print and get money for them, then submit to magazines. There may be as many magazines as contests, and most of them pay something.
    Hey, do you mean that magazines will accept stories that you post into them, such as articles? Or are you talking about competitions within magazines?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MclarenP1 View Post
    Hey, do you mean that magazines will accept stories that you post into them, such as articles? Or are you talking about competitions within magazines?
    Most magazines accept email submissions, and some will only accept electronic submissions, but there are a few that stubbornly insist on using paper. You should search for "magazine submission guidelines" and see what you find. You can also try searching for one of the lists or directories of magazines. Regardless of where you send things be sure to look at the guidelines first to see what they want.

I have never entered a "competition" other than the normal competition for a place in a magazine. Contests are scams, especially if there are entrance fees.

Blog Entries
    Could you recommend any magazines?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Oh, so you need the details.
    a variety of magazines from a site for writers:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=212041
    an article that lists a few places to look for markets:
    http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2...story-markets/
    zn info page, but not the best
    http://www.reference.com/motif/arts/...ry-submissions

There are many thousands of other information sources in this subject. Try using magazine story markets list" or somehing along those lines. for stories or articles on a particular subject include that particular as a search term.

Blog Entries
    Oh, so you need the details.
    a variety of magazines from a site for writers:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=212041
    an article that lists a few places to look for markets:
    http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2...story-markets/
    zn info page, but not the best
    http://www.reference.com/motif/arts/...ry-submissions

There are many thousands of other information sources in this subject. Try using magazine story markets list" or somehing along those lines. for stories or articles on a particular subject include that particular as a search term.
    Thanks

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_arendt View Post
    Thanks
    I'm glad to help.

Not true at all. The vast majority of fiction magazines pay nothing more than contributors copies. And 95% of ones that do pay pay very little. The ones that do pay well are generally next to impossible for a writer without an agent to have their work read. Writer's Market and its ilk have perpetrated the biggest fraud on aspiring writers by creating false hopes of getting published and paid.

If you're starting out you're much better of submitting your stuff to smaller magazines and *shudder* online magazines.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Abanera View Post
    Not true at all. The vast majority of fiction magazines pay nothing more than contributors copies. And 95% of ones that do pay pay very little. The ones that do pay well are generally next to impossible for a writer without an agent to have their work read. Writer's Market and its ilk have perpetrated the biggest fraud on aspiring writers by creating false hopes of getting published and paid.

If you're starting out you're much better of submitting your stuff to smaller magazines and *shudder* online magazines.
    What I wrote is completely correct. If you believe otherwise; that's fine with me. There is a wide range of markets. If you shudder at online magazines, then you haven't finished your homework.