Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A "Listicle" of Frequently-confused Words

"Comprise", "compose", "constitute". "Is comprised of...." is always wrong.

later/latter

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    nauseated/nauseous

Many folks get these two backward.
    Jarrod said he felt nauseated. He wasn't certain when he began feeling ill, but he believes it was some time shortly after eating his mother-in-law's nauseous bean casserole.

In other words, it's probably not a good idea to say "I'm getting nauseous." That's for others to decide!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    nauseated/nauseous

Many folks get these two backward.
    Jarrod said he felt nauseated. He wasn't certain when he began feeling ill, but he believes it was some time shortly after eating his mother-in-law's nauseous bean casserole.

In other words, it's probably not a good idea to say "I'm getting nauseous." That's for others to decide!
    "Nausea" is noun that derives from the Greek word for "boat" and refers to seasickness. "Nauseated" is a past participle of the verb "nauseate," which means "to make seasick." It can be used in both an active and passive sense, e.g., "The boat nauseated me" or "I was nauseated by the boat." "Nauseous" is an adjective that means "seasick." Knowing these meanings, it's easy to determine their proper usage.

It is therefore correct to say that "Jarrod felt nauseated" or "Jarrod felt nauseous." There is a slight difference in meaning. The first indicates that Jarrod felt that something had nauseated him (made him feel nauseous) and the second just says how he feels (nauseous), without any reference to an agent that caused his "nausea."

...he believes it was some time shortly after eating his mother-in-law's nauseous bean casserole is simply wrong. The bean casserole may have been nauseating, but it cannot be "nauseous." So far as I know, beans in any form are not capable of experiencing any sort of affliction, including nausea.

There's nothing grammatically wrong with "I'm getting nauseous." It means "I'm beginning to feel nauseous" or "I'm beginning to feel nauseated [by something]."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Capozzoli View Post

...he believes it was some time shortly after eating his mother-in-law's nauseous bean casserole is simply wrong. The bean casserole may have been nauseating, but it cannot be "nauseous." So far as I know, beans in any form are not capable of experiencing any sort of affliction, including nausea.

There's nothing grammatically wrong with "I'm getting nauseous." It means "I'm beginning to feel nauseous" or "I'm beginning to feel nauseated [by something]."
    Allow me to cite The American Heritage Dictionary, Dr. C. The listing for "nauseous" is as follows:

1. Causing nausea, sickening. 2. Intellectually repulsive. "What proper person can be partial/To all those nauseous epigrams of Martial?" (Byron). 3. Nauseated. See Usage note.
    Usage Employment of nauseous in the sense of nauseated (experiencing nausea) is
    considered unacceptable by 88 per cent of the Usage Panel.
    Here's Theodore M. Bernstein in The Careful Writer: A Modern Guide to English Usage:
    "A thing is nauseous if it makes one sick to the stomach; the unfortunate victim of this malaise is nauseated. The common misuse of nauseuous appears in this passage: "When he sits too long, turns his head too abruptly, or walks any distance, he gets dizzy, loses balance, and becomes nauseous." He doesn't become nauseous unless he turns other people's stomachs; he becomes nauseated.A person who feels sick is no more nauseous than a person who has been poisoned is poisonous."
    For Wilson Follett, the Grand-Daddy of all Grammarians, the confusion between the two forms of the word arises from the concepts of transitive and intransitive, not merely terms describing verbs but as way of
    "denoting a general blindness to what may be termed the point of view. This ignorance or indifference affects not only the use of verbs but the choice of nouns and adjectives. When, for example,
    we have two adjectives, nauseous and nauseated, it should be clear that the first applies to the substance that causes the state named in the second. To call oneself nauseous except in self-depreciation is to ignore the point of view of the word."
    From Modern American Usage: A Guide,edited by Jacques Barzun. (And yes, it says "self-depreciation," not "self-deprecation" in the book.)
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 11-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Is there going to be a "testicle" on this "listicle"?

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Is there going to be a "testicle" on this "listicle"?

J
    Maybe just a quizzical. But if there is, everybody had better get the question on "nauseous" correct! (See #20 above.)

everyone in my part of the world uses nauseous for both meanings......nauseated is almost a taboo
    Last edited by tshering; 11-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Life is the greatest entertainer.

EDIT: Wait never mind, it must be about two or more words that are confused with each other. I had a frequently misspelled word. My bad!
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    EDIT: Wait never mind, it must be about two or more words that are confused with each other. I had a frequently misspelled word. My bad!
    Fair game, as far as yours fooly is concerned. Doesn't matter what confuses us -- spelling, sound-alikes, usage.
    I like your Barthes post-mod quote, but reports of the death of authors are greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    Fair game, as far as yours fooly is concerned. Doesn't matter what confuses us -- spelling, sound-alikes, usage.
    I like your Barthes post-mod quote, but reports of the death of authors are greatly exaggerated.
    Thank you. I'm not sure if I even agree with it but I liked the way of thinking and how it sounded.

As for what I had posted, I had definitely / defiantly / definately etc. There's actually a (very small) site about this, d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com.
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post

As for what I had posted, I had definitely / defiantly / definately etc. There's actually a (very small) site about this, d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com.
    Disparate/Desperate is another troublesome spelling pair.

Blog Entries
    happen/transpire

Yours fooly aligns with the camp which maintains that these two aren't synonymous. There is a subtle distinction, as the latter connotes the idea of being made known.

Blog Entries
    affected/effected (Redux)

In a graphic broadcast on MSNBC this morning: "20 Million effected by Polar Vortex"

Uh, will somebody tell me again why English majors are "unemployable?"

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    rout / route / root.

Ah come on, don't get me going!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast