Thread: Jail for elementary students

Blog Entries

Jail for elementary students

Sometimes in school we are expected to teach children that are so disabled that even “regular” special education can’t handle them. They fall within the lowest 1% of the general education population. The special education population falls within the bottom 15% of the general education population. This means that these children fall within the lowest range of the total educational population.
    To start off my school year, I got one of these children. I spent the first 2 weeks of school or 8 days trying to get this student in a stable program. Working with a team of three other experts, we were not able to structure this student’s day in a way that would allow this individual to have any success. This individual has developmental delays in the area of cognition and communication, falling at a maturity level 2 years below the chronological age. There are other factors that make this child’s profile quite complicated and unresponsive to most interventions.
    It was exhausting getting this student’s program up and running. Even after trying all the changes and supports, we had very little success. We exhausted all our resources until our principal said, change of placement. This meant a school in our district better equipped to handle such children with these types disabilities. This means that when this student starts throwing things and turning over chairs, they will be restrainted on a chair for take a break. This means that when this student is trying to run, they will be put in a safe space until they calm down.
    Two of the team members were very against this solution, so I spoke to the principal via email and told her that this student has a maturity level of a pre-schooler and should spend some time in the pre-school. We came to a compromise that this student would be in the pre-school part of the day and the special school in the afternoon. In a sense, it was a compromise. In the end, it was a victory for this guy. He could have ended up there the whole day, but we were able to have his day split between preschool and the jail school.
    Politically, where do I stand? I’m not for this type of school, but I am also not for children running around the general educational setting ripping up the school. I’m going to remain his casemenager and monitor how many restraints and uses of the safe space, maybe I can help reduce these numbers. They have got to come up with alternative plans that are more humane. I guess I will be starting to read some books about this...

Blog Entries
    The problem with a child like this in the regular system is simply that they haven't the funds to provide the supervision he needs. I feel for your situation as an instructor too. The public in general has no idea how much stress goes into this job. You're always forced to make trade-offs, and in this case neither of the available choices seem to fit the individual.

I often fear that these types of students will end up being prescribed medications to control their outbursts, making them less troublesome and more compliant. At the same time the medications will impair their cognitive functions. Again more tradeoffs.

Most anyone who's taught understands the special Ed teachers have the most difficult jobs in teachings, the students they handle have such varied problems. You guys aren't just teachers who teach simple subjects, you're Jacks and Jills of all trades. So forget the political stances, just do what works best for the student and you. You're a competent teacher and a mother. Read up and research it. If it were my child I'd trust you all the way down the line. This posting would back me up, as it shows a genuine concern for the student's welfare.

Blog Entries
    This is what we agonized over. What we have to offer as an alternative is not necessarily the best solution either. He should have a Behavior Interventionist, but the funds are lacking to hire the contracted organizations. It's a systemic problem and I can tell you that even though this is a problem with no clear cut solution, I still feel like I failed the kid. At least, I can remain his case manager. I could of washed my hands clean of it and passed him off to another case manager, but I felt otherwise. I think all teachers suffer at times, and we just try to do the best we can with the resources available within the system. It's public school- we provide a free and appropriate public education. Within the parameters of what we have to work with, I believe we have provided an appropriate program that will help educate this child. Case closed! Next!

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Your question is in a way right up yours fooly's alley, with decades of experience both on the parental and the paraprofessional front. From your description, it sounds to me as if the particular student is in a program inappropriate for his or her needs. It might be a good idea for those in charge to set up another I.E.P. and Placement Meeting. Which as I see, you've started the ball rolling toward that end. The kid and the kid's parents have a right guaranteed by the U.S. government to the most appropriate, least restrictive placement. I think the law is 94-142 (but don't quote me) and it's been in place since the early 1980s.

There has been, however, too much "intervention," one could say with the rise of medicating seemingly unruly, non-compliant students. All too often the teachers and administrators with the blessing of the school district push for medication (such as Ritalin) rather than search for and attempt "behaviour modification" techniques. Are so many of our children really and truly "hyperactive" or is it merely a case of "boys being boys?" As far as "attention deficit disorder," does it ultimately stem from the child's brain or is it a case of dullness, over- or under-stimulation in the classroom?

Don't get me wrong: few things are more difficult than quelling a bunch of noisy, flighty students--it is really hard to get them to settle down. If my fellow LitNutters don't believe me, try volunteering as a substitute teacher. At the end of the day, you're the one who'll be needing medication! Still, with all these newly minted "doctorates in education," I'd think that one these Ph.Ds could come up with methods a little less restrictive and regimented.

When I read your title -- "Jail for Elementary School Students" -- I thought you were referring to the general state of public education in our country today, specifically the reported disparity between the quality of schools in suburban ("rich") districts as opposed to that of urban and rural "poor" districts. Some cynical social critics have actually likened underperforming city schools as "holding tanks" for young people until they reach the age of actual incarceration.

But it seems to me that many high schools -- including those in "rich" districts-- are structured on a model not dissimilar to that of a medium-security prison. After recent harrowing events, security has become a high priority, but it hardly makes for a safe and pleasant learning environment when the students themselves have to pass through a metal detector upon entering the building. The lockers containing their personal belongings are routinely checked for contraband. The children are herded from class to class like cattle, and they can't make an independent move without permission, including going to the bathroom, just as in prison.

You probably can guess my opinion on school uniforms. I'm surprised the kids aren't forced to wear numbers across their chests. As the late great George Carlin once remarked about making students all dress alike, the next step is to make them all think alike.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 09-13-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your input as a parent and professional. Of course, the least restrictive environment is always at the forefront of our minds. No one wants to go through mediation via Due Process. Although this setting feels severe, our student is doing very well. There has been very little "hands-on" from professionals, as well as reduction in hitting and running. This is great news! So in a sense, this afternoon placement is the restrictive environment for this student, at the time. Sometimes it is a matter of letting time help us determine, if a decision is the right one. In this case, it seems so. This is why we work on teams, so that the team shoulders the decisions, not just one person. Anyway, I agree with your opinions and appreciate your comments as I would anyone one member of the team.