Thread: I need help writing a short story as from the 19th century

I need help writing a short story as from the 19th century

Hi:

I'm doing a task consisting in rewriting a 19th century short story or text changing certain aspects like ending, chapters, etc.

The thing is that I need to know which expressions, words or phrases I should use and which not, in order to not commit anachronism.

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    English has not changed too much since the 19th century - we have lost some of the flourishes however. To avoid anachronism, avoid any references to technology (really anything more advanced than industrial equipment) - or any historical event post-19th century.

This seems like a strange task to me. As someone who was obsessed with the 19th century and, foolishly, tired to mimic their writing in my own - it doesn't end well.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    English has not changed too much since the 19th century - we have lost some of the flourishes however. To avoid anachronism, avoid any references to technology (really anything more advanced than industrial equipment) - or any historical event post-19th century.

This seems like a strange task to me. As someone who was obsessed with the 19th century and, foolishly, tired to mimic their writing in my own - it doesn't end well.
    Just read a few mid-century stories published around 1850 on up. There are quite a few. The trouble is you'll have what by today's standards might be a ponderous story stylistically.

For writing a short story of 19th century, you have to make the story as a creative one. For writing a creative story you can use the creative thoughts and quotes if you have. By adding quotes types expressions, your story will get great appreciations from the readers. do try to make the story as this kind of way and make a powerful story..

Telling us that it's a short story about the 19th century is rather vague. Perhaps you can provide more information such as location and the topic of the story to be reworked.

"Nature always sides with the hidden flaw."
    - Murphy's Law No.?