Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marxist thinking

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is, to change it"
    interesting.
    the way to do it to spend time interpreting the human race in many ways; the point is, to make him and him and her for that matter change for the better not worse. the world would never otherwise'
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

figures are not necessarily my strong point though now we we have clarified what you meant i have to wonder how many us citizens were earning a billion dollars a day when a poor prole was earning 50cents Was any one even earning a billion pounds a year or is that what you in fact mean? you are comparing a day's wage with a day's wage i assume. And who is earning ten billion dollars a day now? you obviously have a head for big numbers...i did write more than this but things always seem to disappear when i try to post, i m not going to rewrite it all i ll obviously just have to try and be a bit like nietzsche in future and just say it all in a sentence...

i m still misunderstanding you you mean a billion CENTS. but i am led to believe that alfred was in fact non conformist; methodist to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    i m still misunderstanding you you mean a billion CENTS. but i am led to believe that alfred was in fact non conformist; methodist to be sure
    However you wish to interpret it, the point is that the purchasing power increases exponentially. Regarding Alfred the Great, his meritorious psychology was, together with Luther's teachings, the foundation of the Anglican church. Not a Methodist.
    Now we have to contend with another witch, who never lived in England, and has demonstrated that again and again. The ill one was probably there for a vacation. LOL

To make it a little more precise, although it's beside the point, 50 cents a day comes to around 180 dollars a year. The increase in revenue comes to 15000/180 or about 83. Just an example. The increase in revenue for the rich comes to 1000000000/100000 or about 10000. That's about 10000/83 or about 120 times the other increase. However, that's immaterial, because the increase in purchasing power for the rich is many many times greater than 120.

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    So Kant did away with metaphysics, so all we have is the world? Is that the point he is starting from? His PhD thesis was on the atomic theories of Democritus and Epicurus, that's looks like a very materialist, worldly, (and very good!) beginning.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx...841/dr-theses/
    I read the referred-to thesis in which the Epicurean and Democritian views are discussed. There was also reference to Aristotelian physics...

I guess that this is a more-or-less accurate rendition of KM's thesis... If so, it is full of statements that I would have to say are scientifically flawed and ignorant of the real physical science that was being done in the first half of the 19th Century.

I like Marxism for their unflinching feelings and urges for the destitution of society not for his political ideologies. He was a philosopher and had a great passion for literature and to read Marx is to educate oneself and to evolve and look at the world from a different, scientific and historical lenses. We can understand the world better and come home with new thoughts out of the box

I think that you are confusing Marxism or Marxist Theory with poorly enacted Communism (i.e. China, the USSR, Cuba, etc). Marxist theory is, indeed, alive and well. The works of theorists, such as Frederic Jameson, Terry Eagleton, Dipesh Chakrabarty, Gyorgy Lukacs, Herbert Marcuse, and David Harvey have been working the field for well over seven decades. In fact, by its very definition, Marxism will and must exist as long as Capitalism exists...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12