Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad

I think this is the best TV series I have ever seen to be honest, superb stuff. Top quality all the way through. Anyone else enjoying it?

If you have not watched this then you probably should.

If you have not come across it, it revolves around a chemistry teacher who has been diagnosed with cancer who falls in the idea of cooking crystalmeth in order to make money for his family when he's gone, though things get very complicated!
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 09-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.

It's odd how at a time when TV has declining audiences and influence that some of the best-ever programs are being made - Breaking Bad & The Wire to name a couple.

I couldn't get into The Sopranos - always seemed like poor man's Mario Puzo to me, but Breaking Bad is unbelievably good. I never liked Bryan Cranston or Malcolm ITM, but he has to rate as one of the best actors of all time after BB.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Yes The Killing was another very good series, I mean the original Killing, although the second season wasn't of the same standard as the first. I never watched the Sopranos either probably for the same reason. I'm coming near the end of BB and going to be lost I think.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's on my list of shows to watch. Everyone I talk to raves about it - people whose tastes are usually fairly on the mark! Though it is strange to imagine the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle as a great actor...

No spoilers, please!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Everybody is telling me to watch it, my 'to watch' list getting very long. Maybe I'll find time around Christmas to watch the whole thing.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Yes definitely no spoilers on the thread!!!

I'd suggest hiking up that to watch list or letting me know what's better out there in it's place!

Blog Entries
    I liked the first four seasons where there was a lot of fish out of water stuff and levity. The protagonists were underdogs in over their heads and out of their depth. You had to root for them. The fifth season is so dark and somber, without any characters to identify with, that it's lost what I initially liked about the series. Also, whenever someone is trying to intimidate another person on the show they just stare at them in silence. It worked for a long time but how many times are they going to pull that trick? It beats the person saying the wrong thing, but it doesn't beat them saying the best things. Shakespeare would have had something for them to say. If this were the Sopranos or Deadwood or a Tarantino movie the bad guy would have a great line. There are so many drawn out pauses that it sometimes feels like a Beckett play.

It's a good show but the best show? I can think of several better.

1.Sopranos
    2.All in the Family
    3.Deadwood
    4.Mad Men
    5.The Wire
    6.Seinfeld
    7.South Park
    8.Monty Python's Flying Circus
    9.Chappell Show
    10.Breaking Bad
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Well I think it is a bit difficult to compare Breaking Bad with the likes of Monty Python. Completely different things. Even so I only find Monty Python funny in places and in small doses. I don't like South Park or Seinfeld and I never took to the Sopranos - though I didn't give it much chance I suppose. I've not see the others but heard that The Wire is good. The Killing (Forbrydelsen) was a cracking first series and should feature on any top ten list, though for me BB is better and probably the best TV series I've seen as I say. Game of Thones is also not bad. I'm watching Californication too that's as funny as hell - it's my 1.00am+ viewing.

Been addicted to Breaking Bad since last year. The first season of Hannibal is promising as well. Black Mirror, too.

Yes it is very addicting. I'm now at the end of the series just waiting for the last or last couple of episodes. Cracking programme.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just watched the very first episode! A fantastic beginning - not many shows make me immediately want to watch the next episode, particularly after only the pilot. Cranston's performance is superb.

Another episode tomorrow, methinks!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it! Yes he superb all the way through as are the rest of the cast really. The characters just grow and grow on you as you get deeper and deeper into the continually clever and twisting plots, it's very well written.

I've just got my dad watching it. I don't know what I'm going do with myself now I've got the end, I could in fact easily go back and watch it again, I need my fix of it!

It scores 9.4 on IMBb.
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 09-13-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Definitely the best show on TV.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Totally agree Admin.

In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anything better full-stop.

Blog Entries
    The show is fascinating in a number of ways. Most prominently, Walt's "progression" from average Joe to becoming a completely ruthless, child poisoning meth kingpin. Gus Fring provides a fascinating insight into criminal psychology and manipulation to in the "inth" degree. He's a respectable foe and creates the ultimate mirror of himself in Heisenberg. I love Hank's hard work ethic and native intelligence about human nature and how he can usually guess accurately, what his opponent will do. Of course, we all know, the most intriguing part of the show is the answer to the eternal question-who will cook Walt Jr. breakfast?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast