Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Blog Entries
    Words cannot describe how much I'm in love with this show. It's bittersweet to have it gone.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Independent article about episode 5 14 here, with the headline "Is Breaking Bad's ... the greatest TV episode ever written?" (Scores a perfect 10 on IMBD from 12, 000 votes):

MASSIVE SPOILER>>> So only read if you are up to date.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-8821985.html

Loka, read it in a few weeks...
    I agree with "the Independent", best TV episode, and best series EVER, *****. I just spent ten days watching every episode on Netflix... one month for free. Underperforming middle-aged scientist, too close for comfort

"The Wire" is up there competing, Neely, get the DVD box set, it might help with withdrawal symptoms. The first season of "Lost" was my previous "best ever", but it quickly went downhill after that. Breaking Bad started great and just kept getting better and better until 5/14, then a slight tailing off over the last two episodes, but still a good ending. Here's what Anthony Hopkins thinks of Bryan Cranston's performance: 'the best acting I have seen - ever'.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013...bad-fan-letter

Wow, Anthony was also blown away, and he knows his acting too.

Dear Mister Cranston,

I've just finished a marathon of watching 'BREAKING BAD' – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing. I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant! Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I have told me dad to watch it and he likewise loved it, watched them all over two or three weeks. Stunning stuff.

Currently, I am watching Dexter at night. This is quite good. OK, will also consider The Wire after I've finished with Dexter, thanks.

I might try "Orange is the new Black", it's getting good reviews. "Homeland" is back on C4. I watched a bit of one episode of Dexter on LoveFilm and didn't like it too much, maybe I was just being overly squeamish.

Heard a little about those but not sure. Dexter is definitely worth another try, gets better with each episode. It's not really that dark as it first appears, rather quite playful and very funny in places. We finished the end of season one last night.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched the season 3 finale the other night - crikey.

I think the English language needs a new word. 'Breaking-Badgasm' - where an episode of Breaking Bad has you literally shaking with emotions. I've been having quite a few of them recently.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I might try "Orange is the new Black", it's getting good reviews. "Homeland" is back on C4.
    I gave up on Homeland, and it's getting really bad reviews. I got hooked on "Orange is the new Black", and watched the whole 13 episodes in a week. It's a clever move by Netflix, the season ends with a bang, and to see the next season I'll actually have to pay them some money. Just found out that it's actually based on a real-life memoir:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...er_kerman.html

I guess the moral is that if you want to be a writer, then so something that gets you sent to prison! Worked for Oscar, Fyodor, and many others.

Still really missing Breaking Bad, though, the BBC should hang its head in shame. The nearest is probably Law & Order: Criminal Intent on C5, but it's slow, tame, and cliched, compared to Breaking Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Watched the season 3 finale the other night - crikey.

I think the English language needs a new word. 'Breaking-Badgasm' - where an episode of Breaking Bad has you literally shaking with emotions. I've been having quite a few of them recently.
    Or "Breakingly Bad" when something is better than just "Bad"

Blog Entries
    And now I've just seen the season 4 finale - what an amazing end to an amazing season! The last few episodes have been edge-of-the-seat tension from beginning to end, but what a pay-off.

I'm interested to see what direction it goes from here!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I did what a lot of people here seem to have done. Powered through the show on Netflix in a very short space of time. Absolutely breathtaking television. Rian Johnson's episodes especially. Having a bit of a break from serious television at the moment as I won't be able to watch something without comparing quality to Breaking Bad.

Did anyone see the 'Alternate ending' that came out at the weekend. Bryan Cranston is fantastic.

No not seen the alternative ending, that sounds interesting will look out for that. No spoilers though...

No spoilers though...
    It's not what you expect. Saying nothing else...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I might try "Orange is the new Black", it's getting good reviews. "Homeland" is back on C4. I watched a bit of one episode of Dexter on LoveFilm and didn't like it too much, maybe I was just being overly squeamish.
    Orange is the New Black was pretty good. Also, I got into House of Cards and the second season is supposed to be available on 02/14/2014.

It's nice to have all the episodes available at once. Then you don't have to wait. But then you also become an idiot sitting in front of the TV all night watching episode after episode. There was a skit about it on Portlandia. It was hilarious.

But the real reason I am posting in this thread is because I've always wondered why he called him Heisenberg. Why Heisenberg? I wonder if there was any particular achievement of Heisenberg's that was on Walter White's mind when he started calling himself that? Walter White is to cooking as Heisenberg is to [..........]

Just curious if that was ever addressed?

It's obvious I don't know much about chemistry or physics (except for the variety that's sold next to the books about aliens and auras in the New Age section of the book store) so don't make fun of my question if the answer is obvious to those who know more about the subject. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Shalot; 01-23-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    I seem to remember that it was briefly addressed in the series, though I can't off the top of my head give the reasons. At the very least, Werner Heisenberg was a brilliant scientist (like Walt), contributed to a Nobel Prize winning project (like Walt), and had cancer (like Walt) - that much at least makes sense.

I miss Breaking Bad - my evenings are now much less interesting...

After Werner Heisenberg's early, glorious contributions to Quantum Physics (Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and all that...) his career went downhill. He remained in Nazi Germany, instead of fleeing like many of his fellow scientists, and was heavily involved in projects that almost gave Hitler the A-bomb. So, like Walt, he had a glorious start in pure science, but then took a morally dubious path through hanging out with gangsters and doing bad work. He said he tried to delay Hitler's development of the bomb, but this suggestion is dismissed by most historians of the period. This made him look worse, a master of dissimulation, like Walt!

"Germany's scientists, including Heisenberg, had tried hard to make a bomb but failed, partly because they had let so many gifted colleagues be exiled to America where they had then helped the US with its A-bomb project. As Ball states, the extraordinary statement that Heisenberg falsified research to stop Hitler getting the bomb requires extraordinary supporting evidence. "Sadly, there seems to be none.""

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...s-bomb-farmelo
    Last edited by mal4mac; 01-24-2014 at 10:03 AM.

I'll agree that Breaking Bad was entertaining, had an interesting concept, presented its narrative in a way that kept viewers "addicted," and probably is among the best dramatic TV series ever, but the best, in my opinion, was the first season of Deadwood. Great acting, stories based on history, realistic settings and dialogue, everything all the way down to the song at the end of each show was authentic and put tohether perfectly. After the first season, however, the show really went downhill, I think in part because the writers had already used up all the available historical allusions, and their fiction was not as fascinating as history. Anyway, for all you youngsters who don't remember Deadwood, it's worthwhile to get the DVD of Season One.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast