Thread: Using Facebook and Forums to Improve Literacy

Using Facebook and Forums to Improve Literacy

I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on using Facebook, or a forum like this one, as a platform to substantially improve your writing, because to be honest the bulk of writing that I do do is on Facebook, Forums and YouTube more than in Microsoft Word or Notepad. There was a quote I read a few years ago, and I can't remember who said this but it was about how a professor envisioned what the internet would be like before it was actually invented. He said that it would be a domain of high culture, housing highly intelligent discourse, for the most part, excluding a few havens, the internet isn't this. Although that's not due to the fact that the platforms, like this forum, can't handle exchanging discourse on a technical level it's mainly just due to the fact of how we choose to use it. I haven't had the chance to fully explore this forum, but from first view it seems to be one of the havens that I have mentioned above.
    To go back to the use of Facebook for improving literacy however, I always had an idea of having a small group of friends or people who are also interested in improving their writing create separate profiles just for writing. Then adding each other and using that as purely a platform to exchange writing. I think it would be really interesting to see the super addictive and rewarding layout of Facebook, with notifications and all, to accomplish something productive. Let me know what you guys think, if that would work or not. If there are any of you on here that also wanted to try it out with me maybe after I know you guys better, this is my very first post on here by the way, we could give it a try.

Blog Entries
    In regards to your idea of Facebook, you are essentially describing a writing group or writing circle - which have been around for quite awhile. Doing the same idea online is, I think, a great idea.

Writing is writing: it doesn't matter if you are using a pen, or a keyboard: an official word document or a social media platform. This does not change the act of writing. So however you choose to do it - wherever you choose to do it - just keep doing it.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    In regards to your idea of Facebook, you are essentially describing a writing group or writing circle - which have been around for quite awhile. Doing the same idea online is, I think, a great idea.

Writing is writing: it doesn't matter if you are using a pen, or a keyboard: an official word document or a social media platform. This does not change the act of writing. So however you choose to do it - wherever you choose to do it - just keep doing it.
    Very tautological. A = A. For people who would like to grasp the value of symbolic tautology, Charles has given us a perfect example. This is the beginning of symbolic logic. Writing is writing, here, there and anywhere.