Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sci-Fi short story--SACRIFICE

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    You really need to stop inventing statements that were never made. I'm getting worried about you suffocating under that huge pile of straw men you've buried yourself in. Read it again. I was sharing my initial mental image of "Fish Head". That's all. No comparison of the two completely dissimilar stories expressed, implied, or even considered.

I'm completely at a loss to answer this.
    Cal I have no idea how you were able to picture The Creature from the Black Lagoon in this story. That was an amphibious prehistoric reptile monster that lives in a lagoon. The Fish Heads in this story have advanced technological and evolutionary abilities.

Blog Entries
    If it helps to have an alternate voice chime in rather than the same two people...

I did think the story was a bit dull; the dialogue and plot all seemed a bit predictable and I didn't really feel any emotion for any of the characters. I guess standard advice is just keep reading and writing and you get better naturally.

However I didn't see any fault in the technology side of things... It explains in the beginning that they have a water recycling system in place but it is still struggling to cope with the demands of the ships population, which makes sense to me (although I'm no scientist).

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    If it helps to have an alternate voice chime in rather than the same two people...

I did think the story was a bit dull; the dialogue and plot all seemed a bit predictable and I didn't really feel any emotion for any of the characters. I guess standard advice is just keep reading and writing and you get better naturally.

However I didn't see any fault in the technology side of things... It explains in the beginning that they have a water recycling system in place but it is still struggling to cope with the demands of the ships population, which makes sense to me (although I'm no scientist).
    Hmm interesting. I thought the dialogue was done well for what it was. He went onto the next scene immediately after the conversation was over. The pacing was also good. You have a character that just found out his gf is pregnant and then immediately finds out they located a planet that has water. So he's left with a dilemma.

The fact that he's never seen a tree or been to a barbecue, and can only picture them in books, is kind of sad. You feel for the guy from the beginning.

Blog Entries
    Each to his own I suppose

I think it's hard for people to get good/useful feedback on their work when in general only a few people respond, so they usually only get one or two guys opinions on what constitutes a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    Each to his own I suppose

I think it's hard for people to get good/useful feedback on their work when in general only a few people respond, so they usually only get one or two guys opinions on what constitutes a good story.
    I agree 100%.

Blog Entries
    Hang on a mo - I've ran out of popcorn....
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Hang on a mo - I've ran out of popcorn....
    Ha! You've been enjoying yourself haven't you? Check out this other big similarity to Harry Potter. It really is amazing she hasn't been sued yet:

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_P...and_analogues: Science fiction author Orson Scott Card, in a fierce editorial in response to Rowling's copyright lawsuit against the Harry Potter Lexicon, claimed that her assertion that she had had her "words stolen" was rendered moot by the fact that he could draw numerous comparisons between her books and his own 1985 novel Ender's Game; in his words, "A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorised extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world."[60]

Blog Entries
    Personally I believe many a good tale holds the same key ingredients. Can an author be sued for taking those ingredients to produce their own tasty dish is another thing.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Personally I believe many a good tale holds the same key ingredients. Can an author be sued for taking those ingredients to produce their own tasty dish is another thing.
    Only applications can be copyrighted or trademarked. Ideas independent of an actual application cannot be property. Some might sue but they will not be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Only applications can be copyrighted or trademarked. Ideas independent of an actual application cannot be property. Some might sue but they will not be successful.
    I agree. Tolkien had many followers who wanted to write stories like he did. They never stole any of his applications. George R.R. Martin is a perfect example of this. He created his own idea but you can also tell he was heavily influenced by Tolkien's work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234