Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324

Thread: does religion/God give people a voice?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman Resu View Post
    Wrong; dead wrong. Baptists are Christians, and beyond not even using the word "Sacrament" for the two ordinances which they recognise, "marriage" certainly isn't one of them. Back to Sunday school for you until you can tell the difference between a Catholic and a Christian.
    One of the variant meanings of sacrament is "a thing of mysterious and sacred significance; a religious symbol". So you can say, "they used peyote as a sacrament". Back to infant school for you until you can use a dictionary.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/sacrament

Quote Originally Posted by SentimentalSlop View Post
    As Christians, we believe marriage is a sacrament instituted by God, and he should be present in that relationship. It's like a love triangle. God is at the top, and man and woman at the bottom.
    Fundamentalist Mormons allow polygamy, trendy Anglicans allow marriage for gays, so I'm afraid you are still heading for Sunday school to learn not to speak for all Christians.

You need to realize that Christ isn't all about mercy and compassion. He is also justice. If Jesus wanted to redefine His Father's definition of marriage, he would have done it, but he didn't. Having two men or two men in a committed relationship by some legal contract is not marriage. Having two men or two men "married" in some liberal church doesn't make it marriage. If you have such a problem with "homophobia," then why do you even want to follow Christianity? If the Father never liked homosexual acts, He doesn't like them now, and never will. If Christ's will is His Father's, and the Father and the Son are both One, why do you insist that Christ likes active homosexuality?

I'm not scared of gay people. I don't hate them, either. I'm not a homophobe, sorry.
    I'm not calling you a homophobe, Sentimentalslop. If someone thinks something is a sin, that's an opinion which they have every right to, as long as they don't try to 'punish' the 'sinner' or incite others to do so. However, it does become a Gospel of Homophobia if an institution like the Church teaches its members that homosexuality is sinful, thereby equating it with cheating, stealing, adultery and so on.

If you have such a problem with "homophobia," then why do you even want to follow Christianity?
    I'm a christian because I believe in Christ and his teachings, and I guess being baptised when I was a baby did help. Are you suggesting that only people who support Homophobia can become christians? I hope not, but that's what your statement sounds like.

If the Father never liked homosexual acts, He doesn't like them now, and never will. If Christ's will is His Father's, and the Father and the Son are both One, why do you insist that Christ likes active homosexuality?

Well 'the Father' used to be pleased with the aroma of burning animal sacrifices, but that's no longer the case, or at any rate no one's giving it to him anymore. Just this morning I came across a passage in Numbers where God orders a man to be put to death for the horrible crime of collecting wood on the Sabbath. He doesn't seem to be like that anymore. There is no religion on earth today that insists on following the 613 commandments of Old Testament law. As a christian, I feel bound only to follow Christ's teachings, including the reiterated Ten Commandments (reiterated by Jesus I mean), and by doing so I will know what the Will of the father is, since, as you say, Christ's will and his Father's are the same.

As for insisting that Christ "liked active homosexuality", I'm doing nothing of the sort. I do not know what his thoughts about it were, since he never talked about the subject, and I do not presume to guess what he thought about it. I use my own judgement in this case, just as I have to do with any issue which he never mentioned like slavery, human rights, pedophilia, etc.

As this thread has reached now nearly to one third of a thousand posts, it gives one pause to consider which is more "important" - a vehicle providing someone with a voice, or one which provides the voice of Reason? Please vote now in the unofficial poll!

Balance is everything.

Shut up; I'm trying to read Hosea 4:6.

Bananas in pajamas are coming down the stairs.
    Bananas in pyjamas of course!
    Last edited by mona amon; 10-28-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

As Christians, we believe marriage is a sacrament instituted by God, and he should be present in that relationship. It's like a love triangle. God is at the top, and man and woman at the bottom.
    the ''as christians we believe'' this and that is misplaced. the ''We'' do not believe anything . THey tell you what to believe. there is a difference there.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

User Name is backwards :( Eman Resu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    One of the variant meanings of sacrament is "a thing of mysterious and sacred significance; a religious symbol". So you can say, "they used peyote as a sacrament". Back to infant school for you until you can use a dictionary.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/sacrament

Go back. Actually read post 345, then look at your own link, retained above.

Capitalised, "when it forms part of the proper noun as in 'Catholic Sacraments.' " Your reading comprehension needs work, and as a "scientist" you need to be able to distinguish between upper and lower cases so you don't confuse things like "Γ" - the complex propagation constant, and "γ" - electrical conductivity. Back to Grade 0 grammar studies, chav.

Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    Bananas in pyjamas of course!

Given the consideration that B1 and B2 are well known for, "coming down the stairs," I'd expect that soon they'll have earned the Vatican's ferendæ sententiæ censure as well. Enjoy them while you can, before the decretum is intoned: "banana; pajama; scala; anathema."

Go back...
    No. You go back, actually read post 344, then look at your own response.

You stand accused of inappropriate capitalisation, how do you plead?

Biblical? How is that? Exodus was revealed to Moses, as near as we can tell, some time between 1440 and 1400 BCE. The Third Tablet of Urukagina, which has long passages regarding marital laws and monogamy statutes, was written a thousand years before Exodus. Please explain to us how marriage is, "Biblical and that’s its genuine context." Please - no time machine paradoxes, although the standard answer, "I fell asleep during Mesopotamian History class" will be accepted.

I have seen you come round and round using meanings to destroy meanings; the same brainless illness as Cacian's. I am now closing this insane circularity of absolute instability, where democracy could not survive. You don't have what it takes to moderate this subject. Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    As for insisting that Christ "liked active homosexuality", I'm doing nothing of the sort. I do not know what his thoughts about it were, since he never talked about the subject, and I do not presume to guess what he thought about it.

Now you're back to 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10; I hope you've written a letter to the "translators" of the New English Bible, thanking them for slipping the word "homosexual" into those two verses where never before it had appeared before the 1946 publication of the NEB.

NEBbish - the language invented by the publishers of the New English Bible.

Wrong; dead wrong. Baptists are Christians, and beyond not even using the word "Sacrament" for the two ordinances which they recognise, "marriage" certainly isn't one of them. Back to Sunday school for you until you can tell the difference between a Catholic and a Christian.
    Catholics are Christians. Why are you talking about them as if they're different things?
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Catholics are Christians. Why are you talking about them as if they're different things?
    You are correct. All Catholics are Christians. And Baptists are also Christians. However, it would be foolish not to recognize the difference between Roman Catholics and Anglican Catholics. The latter are mostly represented by the Episcopalian Church. Research it. As I said many times, I am here to post conclusions only.

Now you're back to 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10;
    Not me! Christ didn't write 1 Corinthians or 1 Timothy, and as Paul himself reminds us in 1 Corinthians 1:13, I was not baptized in the name of Paul.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324