Thread: Book backlog

Book backlog

Does anyone else have the problem that you acquire books faster than you are able to read them? If so, how do you choose which book out of your backlog to read next?
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

After I got my kindle I've got a huge backlog of books I got free. What I pay for I usually read then and there. Most of the time I read only my library books because they have to be returned in 3 weeks, while the books I own remain unread for years. Recently, after watching the movie, I fished out my copy of the Hobbit which I've had for almost 10 years, and it's the book I'm currently reading.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Huge backlog of books. I usually choose my next book from the pile based on random impulse.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a several books I haven't read yet. I find it mildly irritating, and I'm trying not to visit bookstores until I've read a few of them anyway. The book that is read next is the book that is calling to me.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    In two weeks my best friend is moving to Michigan for school. A few days ago I drove over to her condo to help her pack and get rid of the things she doesn't need or can't take with her across the country. While cleaning through her closet, I found a pristine copy of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I asked her she still wanted it.
    "No, my mother gave it to me but I've never read it," she said. "Really not interested."
    I ask her if I can have it.
    "Take it," she said. "Any other books in the closet you find are yours, to."
    I didn't find any other books, just The Fountainhead, but nevertheless it's been added to my "backlog."

In my current "backlog" I have about 8 books I've acquired or bought that I haven't read yet. I don't adhere to any kind of order, I usually just read next the book that intrigues me most. When I'm all out of books, I go shopping for more, and a beautiful cycle rolls along.
    "Smooth seas rarely make skillful sailors."

I’ve a good collection of books, and it’s always difficult to choose from it. Most of the time I prefer to read classics.

Blog Entries
    I also have a backlog of books - half read because I was distracted, and books I haven't got round to. My wife got me a kindle to deal with the piles - but I still have books from the two years ago that I got the kindle, and I've added others since, though the pile is more manageably stuffed into my wardrobe.

An old guy I know leaves a book he's reading in strategic places in his house. So if he sits in the kitchen, there's a book, and if he's in the lounge, there's also a book. I like that system, though he lives alone and can decide where he can leave them without complaints.

Yes, that's me. I want to read so many books and bought like 30 books (most of them for three bucks each), but I don't really consider that a problem. I am now happy, that I bought that much, because everytime I finish one, there is my bookshelf full of unread and probably very untertaining books. Would probably be cool to actually be able to read more, but it's okay that way.

Blog Entries
    I have three different book shevles filled, a stack of books in my closet, and a stack of books on my bedroom floor. Pluse a few books colleced on my ipad. Sometimes I choose the next book at random, sometimes it just depends on the mood I am in, and sometimes it is detremined by books being read in different online groups I belong to.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    My BTR list is HUGE. I try to think of it as a "good" problem as I have plenty of options from which to choose from. It doesn't help matters when you are reading Dickins and Proust and can't move "fast" through a given work.

Invisible
    I'm the next one with a huge backlog.
    Sometimes I have doubts if I live that long to read all the books, but in general it's very nice to have a choice.
    When I'm not in a special mood for a special topic/book I tend to read my books in alphabetical order by authors or in chronological order when reading philosophy or history stuff.