Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Drives so many Writers to Drink?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebogipfel View Post
    Think same thing as usual. Relief. That they are also creative is coincidental.
    No it isn't, creativity has a correlation to mental illness (there's a whole wiki article on it, academic sources at the bottom) and mental illness obviously has a correlation to alcoholism. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but it doesn't equal coincidence either.

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    I don't think more writers are drinkers or alcoholics than the rest of the general public, but just that they have got the reputation for it somehow.
    I bet they don't drink more than the working class (source: my upbringing was about as working class as it comes, so many alcoholics). Labourers might have a lower tendancy towards mental illness on paper, but thats probably because the rough mining and logging types are conditioned to be solitary manly types and instead try to drink their problems away.

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I don't know about writers, but this painter is drinking right now...

I've never seen one of those before, but it looks fantastic. Crème brûlée + beer.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 08-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I have to frankly state I find the whole notion of solitude being the cause behind one's inclination to drink or use other addictive substances ridiculous, especially in the case of writers. Solitude is nether the cause nor the result of pain. Solitude is also neither the reason to celebrate. Solitude is the way one may spend his/her time and a lot shall depend on the choice the person makes in his/her attitude toward it. In case of writers, it is common for most to seek solitude in order to focus on their work and step away from the social life outside their rooms. It is more than advised for one to do so, especially when he/she is still mastering the skills and improving talents. Solitude is a bliss, if one is serious about his work and desires to excel in it. It is the best method or setting, if one is ready to put anything aside for the sole priority of serving his/her potential to self-actualization. Yes, solitude is inevitable if one does indeed consider to become a writer, for instance. You cannot writer a book while continuously socializing and visiting places with a company. You cannot write a book while carrying a conversation. Some writers even need a complete state of seclusion from anybody and anything, thus it is not unusual for them to shut selves in attics or basements and fully immerse into their work.

So, I shall conclude solitude has nothing to do with one's addiction. On the opposite, it plays a great role in one's progress.

My question to the thread followers would be, how grounded do you find the notion, or assumption, that addictive substances may have a great effect on one's creativity and expression? It was initially believed these serve to transfer us to another state of conscious, and although they do so indeed, that would not come without side-effects and consequences. We do have many writers, some very talented, who would be using these substances at some point in their lives, especially when writing their works or attempting to coup with depression. Do you believe the claim substances do enhance once's creativity and application of certain talents and skills?
    Last edited by Billy the Poet; 08-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Seasider
    In the case of writers, my first assumption was that the necessity of submitting work to agents,publishers,critics and eventually readers, at every stage brought risks of rejection even for established writers. One may remember the devastating effect that criticism by the critics of Edinburgh's literary establishment had on John Keats. And I already mentioned Woolf and the anxiety that even the preemptive thought of negative criticism produced in her.
    Most people can avoid all but the mildest criticism if they do their work,whatever it is,adequately, safely, honestly and promptly. But writers and other artists cannot develop a career without putting their work into the public arena and inviting critical judgement. If they live in a state of fear and anxiety, no wonder some may try to drown their sorrows.
    They may have to endure solitude to produce their work but solitude is not to be hoped for after the critics and the public are involved.
    Last edited by Seasider; 08-13-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234